Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Card issue?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jersey441

jersey441

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:48 PM

Dell Inspiron 9200
XP Professional
No external speakers
Default Device: SigmaTel C-Major Audio

Our sound was working fine last week. Nothing much changed. We didn't install any new software, make any major changes, etc. But all of the sudden, our sound stopped working.

The only issue we ran into was after having some problems with the computer freezing, an Avast boot scan removed some malware - seemed to be Java related trojans; however, to be honest, I'm not sure if that's when the sound problems started or not.

We've tried the basics (making sure nothing's muted, restarting, etc.). Also tried
-virus scan (no results)
-Control Panel troubleshooting
-Device Manager (no errors)
-system restore
-updating/installing drivers

At one point, I was able to find an error with Directsound, but I cannot remember how I got there (or how to get back) or what error message it was.

Any advice?

Edited by jersey441, 27 September 2010 - 08:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:58 PM

Did you uninstall your sound drivers...before attempting to update/install anew?

If not, I would do such.

Then...I would go to Device Manager and verify that the proper controller now appears under Sound, Video, Game Controllers...for the audio function.

Louis

#3 jersey441

jersey441
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:03 PM

Thanks.

I went to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs and clicked to Remove C Major Audio. It asked me if I really wanted to uninstall it (at which point I heard a loud beep). Getting excited about finally hearing a sound, I went to YouTube to test it out; and sure enough, my sound is working again. All I did was hit "remove" but didn't actually remove it.

Weird.

Just hoping this won't happen again after the system updates!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:57 PM

Hang in there... It's just trying to lull you into a false sense of security. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jersey441

jersey441
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:13 PM

Haha - you're definitely right.
The speakers were popping and crackling afterward. Now it's gone again.
Does that sound like it might be the speakers themselves?

I'll try what hamluis suggested in the meantime.

Update: Uninstalled then re-downloaded. Sound still not working.

Edited by jersey441, 28 September 2010 - 10:20 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:15 AM

Sounds like it's time to do as Luis suggested and uninstall the drivers first, and then download the drivers again.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:53 PM

Hello I am providing a support page for your laptop.

http://support.dell.com/support/DPP/Index....INS_PNT_P4_9200

Here is the driver page, expand the tab called AUDIO and download version # 5.10.0.4255.

Uninstall your original driver from device manager then install the version I listed above.

You may also find your origional driver listed under Windows XP's Add And Remove Programs in the control panel area. (This is NOT always the case but it is worth looking there anyways.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

If this does not clear up the problem, check your volume controls via the speaker icon next to the clock and make sure all related controls are turned up and not muted.

You may also have a FN key on the laptop and an audio related volume control on your laptop's keyboard, you should check this one as well.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 29 September 2010 - 07:57 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 jersey441

jersey441
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:31 PM

Tried uninstalling it again from the Add/Remove programs section. Then downloading the driver mentioned above and reinstalling.
Unfortunately - still no sound.

Also tried playing with the FN, but could not get that to help either. The sound appeared to go up and down visually, but still nothing audible.

But I really thank you for your help. Do you have any additional suggestions?

#9 jersey441

jersey441
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:33 PM

Was able to find the error message from DirectSound:

DirectSound test results: Failure at step 19 (User verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users