Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After running network setup wizard all is Lost

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Calvinder

Calvinder

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:14 PM

Hello Gurus

I hope someone can help. I was trying to get my desktop running xp pro to network with my laptop and so I ran Network setup wizard on the desktop and when asked if I wanted to turn on or off file sharing I selected off “recommended” The hard drive ran for a few minuets before finishing and when finished Skype went off line with an error message. My Desktop Calendar program said it can not get access to the files needed because access is denied. Now almost nothing on my pc works. It is like it has lost ownership of the application data. Fire fox, Thunderbird Word, Skype will not start and I can not copy or change any thing in my applications data folder. It says “Access denied” I have checked to see if I have admin privileges and to see if I have ownership. All looks ok
I did a System restore and that did not work
Ran AVG , Spybot and Malwarebytes
All looks good
It seems like any thing that needs application data will not work but
Even after a re start my user profile looks ok.

Thank you for your time
Calvin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:57 PM

A few things are necessary for a home network to work:

a. Run XP wizard on each, turn on file-sharing on each.

b. Files/drives/partitions which you want other system to have access to...must be elected as shared. I give access to everything (each drive/partition)...on one system...to the other corresponding system (I have two desktops).

c. Each system must belong to same workgroup. If both systems are XP, use Mshome as workgroup. If Win 7 is involved, then both must use Workgroup as the workgroup. You could use other names but those are the defaults for those O/Ses.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:02 PM

If you do a System Restore to a date prior to the changes you made it will return your computer to the state that is was in at that time. Then you can resume with the advice that hamluis has suggested.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Calvinder

Calvinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

Louis thanks for the fast reply but this is not my problem At this point I do not care about the networking. Nothing on the desktop works. It is not a networking problem. Every thing was fine until I ran the wizard.

#5 Calvinder

Calvinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:09 PM

As stated in my first post I did a System restore actually I did 2

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:25 PM

Well...I'm not sure what your problem is...running the Network Wizard doesn't impact anything (IME) other than networking capability.

I guess I have to ask...if your system was running well...why any of these changes you allude to...were made.

Seems like we are missing some key facts.

Louis

#7 Calvinder

Calvinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:00 PM

Yes System was running very well. I think it has something to do with the turning off file sharing when it did that it took a few minutes and the hard drive was hard at work.

Thanks

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:02 PM

As stated in my first post I did a System restore actually I did 2

Give me a speeding ticket, I missed that one.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Calvinder

Calvinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:21 PM

Dc3 I'll let you go this time.... but f I catch you speeding again your are in trouble. :thumbsup:

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:21 AM

Well, all I can say is that...if you have XP Home, simple file-sharing is enabled by default. Turning it off may have damaged key system files.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

If you have XP Pro, I suppose that you should read http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharin...filesharing.htm.

Depending on your system and manufacturer...I would suggest trying a repair install or running sfc /scannow.

Louis

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:03 AM

I would check to see if the Firewall is enabled, you can do this by going to Networking Connections in Control Panel and see if there is a yellow lock on any of the ICONS.

#12 Calvinder

Calvinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:59 AM

Thanks Guys

Louis It is X Pro and file sharing was turned off to start with.

Cryptoban I have looked at the fire wall settings and tried turning them off.

Today when I tried to run Fierfox it said “could not initialize the security component. The most likely cause is problems with files in your application’s profile directory. Please check to see that this directory has no read write restrictions and your hard disk is not full………”

If I go to properties of ma application data folder it is READ ONLY and Hidden if I try to change that it tells me on some of he files “Access Denied”
If I go click ok and then go back to properties they are still read only and hidden.

If I continue to open firefox it says in a red bar across the top “The bookmark and history will be functional because one of firefox’s files is in use by another application. Some security software can cause this problem”

Running the SFC scannow now.

More soon

#13 Calvinder

Calvinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:49 AM

Scannnow did nothing to help

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:32 PM

Then...I'd try a repair install of XP.

The problem, as I see it...your system responded in a manner that is unorthodox to what happened...or what is known to have happened.

If it were me...(if a repair install is ineffective) I'd start looking for something other than what was obvious...as the source of your situation. That means hardware or malware.

Louis

#15 Calvinder

Calvinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:03 PM

I got it back :thumbsup: I removed all the ownership and then took it back on everything in and below Documents and settings. The profile I an using showed to belong to the admin group. And the ownership was Admin group I changed it and then changed it back and everything seems alright. However I did have to fix my Fierfox profile for some reason. Now to get them to network Thanks every one for your Time and assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users