Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Please Scanner Error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 krafteame

krafteame

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:18 PM

First, I am new here so Hi to all and thanks for having me.
I have a problem with my Heward packard Flatbed scanne. I need my scanner in a bad way. I make polymer clay pendants/beads and sell them online. My scanne is how I take pics of what I make to post to sell. This is my only income so I am in a mess. Ok to the problem
I had been using the scanner no problem. I have a HP 3970 fltbd scanner and have been using it. I also have a HP 1315 ALL In one (printer/scanner/copier) I had been using the scanner with the software that came with it. Then I got the all in one and also started using it. I was using both because the scanner on the all In one 1315 takes crappy pics. I used both for about 10 months. I hadnt used my computer for about a month due to illness. When I booted it up and tried to use my scanner I started getting this message.
"unexpected internal error" I have followed directions from the trouble shooting section but still come up with the same error message.
I have removed all all hardware from both devices and tried reinstalling just the HP 3970 flatbed scanner but get the same error message. I also unistalled that software and installed the softer for the all in one and tried that device and am getting the same "unexpected internal error" message.
I have been in contact with Hew packard tech support but I am just going in circles.
If someone out there knows what to do please help me. I am just frazzled from this. I have been working night and day trying to figure this out. PLeassssse someone help me!
TIA, krafteame :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:32 PM

Sounds like something is incorrect in the Registry. If it is WinME that you are using, this OS keeps the registries from the previous 5 days that you started the system. And if you have not started the system for more than five days then you can go back to one of the registries that has a date when the scanners worked. If it is NOT WinME, but, Win98, then I would suggest that you remove both scanners from the Device Manager, then disconnect one, reboot and let windows "find" the remaining one again. If successful, shutdown, connect the other one, restart, and let windows find it, and hopefully the driver will be reinstalled.

#3 krafteame

krafteame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 02:03 PM

Sounds like something is incorrect in the Registry. If it is WinME that you are using, this OS keeps the registries from the previous 5 days that you started the system. And if you have not started the system for more than five days then you can go back to one of the registries that has a date when the scanners worked. If it is NOT WinME, but, Win98, then I would suggest that you remove both scanners from the Device Manager, then disconnect one, reboot and let windows "find" the remaining one again. If successful, shutdown, connect the other one, restart, and let windows find it, and hopefully the driver will be reinstalled.

Thank you for replying to my message so quick. I have tried what you suggested about 10 times. You mentioned something in the registry could be incorrect. I have a trial version of registry medic. I ran it and it showed 600+ "errors" The trial version will only let you correct 5 at a time and then each time you correct 5 you have to go thru the whole scan deal which takes about 15min. with all those errors that is going to take some time to do all. Any other suggestions? I am not concerned about the "HP All in one" right now all I need is my HP flatbedscanner to work so I can get some$$$ flow in. I am disabled and that is my only income, (selling polymer clay pendants/beads to jewelers online) Thanks for your help. krafteame

#4 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 05:22 PM

Try this FREE cleaner, which will clean the registry, but I doubt it will fix it. www.ccleaner.com. Also another free one is regseeker. Let Google be your friend. Did you remove the scanners from the Device Manager and reboot, then connect the flatbed?

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 10:39 PM

I'm a bit cautious about recommending registry scanners because there's so much potential for disaster, but you might try RegVac. I think it has a 14 day trial period and it is fully working not one of these limited operation things. I've had good results with Regvac in the past.

Whether it fixes your problem is another matter. What version of Windows do you run? Have you run scandisk and defrag recently? If not do this:

Do some basic maintenance:
(These instructions apply to Windows 95/98/98SE, other versions may not have the functions described)
  • Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
    Control Panel>Internet Settings. Tick the boxes under 'Temporary internet Files' for 'Delete Cookies' and 'Delete Files' and tick 'Delete all offline content' if asked.
    Empty the Recycle Bin.
  • Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here:
    Safe Mode
    How to find scandisk - double-click 'My Computer', right-click the C: drive then click 'Properties'.Under the 'Tools' tab click on Error Checker

• When that's finished do a defrag.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Reboot and see if there's any improvement.

• Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Double-click 'My Computer',right-click on your C: drive and select 'Properties'.
hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users