Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot install any hardware via USB or new PC card

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 babycakes444

babycakes444

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:48 PM

Hello,

I recently had a problem installing a new printer to my Dell laptop. It would install the software/drivers successfully, but continously could not find the hardware no matter what I did. Upon further attempting to install the printer, I came to realize that none of the 4 USB ports on my laptop were working. I tried several USB devices (memory card reader, printer, flash drive) & would either get the 3 beeps when you plugged the device into the USB ports of it not recognizing the device or it would find new hardware, go through the "found new hardware wizard" & return with the "cannot install this hardware" message. I attempted a variety of solutions I found online such as going through the device manager & uninstalling the USB drivers & restarting & trying to reinstall the drivers, checking the BIOS to be sure USB was enabled, as well as downloading the drivers again or trying to use the drivers disc itself (when applicable) for the wizard to search. Again, every time getting "cannot install this hardware". No longer wanting to battle with it, I followed the advice given to others who were not having any success with their USB ports functioning & purchased a brand new 4-port USB PC card & again, it will recognize that you've plugged in new hardware & will successfully download the drivers from the included disc, but it will not successfully install the hardware.

Under the device manager, the following show the yellow question mark with exclamation point on top of that:
under "other devices" it shows Ali USB2.0 EHCI Root Hub (the new PC card) & 7 instances of USB Serial Bus (USB) controller. Under "universal serial bus controllers" it only shows Ali PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller (looking normal - no yellow, no question marks or exclamation points).

I'm kind of a newb when it comes to knowing the internals or specifics of my laptop, so I'm not sure what specs might be needed to know or how I can find them out. It's a Dell Latitude D610 running Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:08 PM

That doesnt sound good, sounds like a defective USB controller, and on a laptop theres not much you can do about that. let me do some research into it, and maybe some others have an idea.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,282 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:52 PM

I would...remove the USB card you purchased...then go to Device Manager and uninstall all USB controllers (only, don't bother with devices).

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r...type Y on new screen and hit Enter. Reboot the system.

Chkdsk /r will run, system will boot...new native USB controllers should install automatically.

Go to Device Manager, verify that you see the native USB controllers, reflected as properly installed.

Try a device.

Louis

#4 babycakes444

babycakes444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:53 PM

Hi again,

Thank you for your quick response. I followed your instructions, unfortunately with no success. After rebooting, I checked device manager & all of the USB controllers had returned again with yellow question/exclamation marks. The Hardware Wizard had popped up as usual, so I attempted that again after checking device manager, but of course got "cannot install hardware". I tried my memory card reader just for the heck of it & of course it didn't respond or recognize at all.

:flowers: :thumbsup:

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:57 PM

Perhaps the problem isn't within the OS.

Try going in to the BIOS setup & checking the USB settings there.

Make sure all ais enabled.

You can usually get in the BIOS by pressing Delete, F1, or F2 as soon as you turn the unit on.

The USB info is usually under "Advanced" > "onboard devices" or something of that nature.

If you can't find the USB listing go to Exit & load the defaults, save & exit.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 babycakes444

babycakes444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:06 PM

I went into BIOS, did not see anything at all for USB Controllers under Onboard Devices, so I loaded the defaults/save/exit. Afterwards, the USB ports were still showing the same (yellow question/exclamation marks). I rebooted into BIOS again & there was still no USB Controller setting under Onboard Devices, or under any other menu for that matter.

Here's where the newb in me regarding computer settings comes out...should I be seeing something that clearly states "USB Controller" or "USB" something or other in BIOS? USB setting isn't named some other funky name is it?

I'm guessing it's not so good if a USB setting is not showing up in BIOS, but I'll await the next post for guidance. Appreciate the suggestions thus far, thanks.

#7 babycakes444

babycakes444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:29 PM

Any other ideas or suggestions??

#8 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:28 AM

I recently had a problem installing a new printer to my Dell laptop.

could you give more detail about your new printer...brand, model and type...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,282 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:15 PM

Well...your USB controllers are supposed to install with drivers supplied by Windows...so, it seems to me that...if you truly have yellow markings immediately after removing them/rebooting...your onboard ports have a real problem.

If that problem extends to use of a PCI card...I'd say that you have a larger problem with your board or some other equally significant component.

Louis

#10 babycakes444

babycakes444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:56 PM

Darn...it's unfortunate that a bigger problem seems to be the case, but I guess it is what it is. Thank you for all the responses.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:28 AM

You may want to check your BIOS for the menu related to PCI configuration and see if there isn't a setting for USB function and make sure it is set to enabled.

Here is the support page for the Dell latitude D610 laptop.

http://support.dell.com/support/DPP/Index....LAT_PNT_PM_D610

Here are all the available drivers for Windows XP.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

At this link is both a SERVICE MANUAL and a USERS MANUAL.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...10/en/index.htm

I can not find a reference to your computers BIOS sutup utility, so unfortunatly I can not direct you to where you would find the USB option, but if you check where I told you to, you might find it.

Also, try using the Dell utility that runs when you hit F12 to see if it fixes your issue.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#12 MidwestTech

MidwestTech

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

Hi,

The fact that the device in question (your motherboard's USB hub) is showing up in Device Manager would lead me to believe the issue is not is the BIOS config, but instead a driver issue.

I'm not sure if you've tried this yet, but I would recommend going to the Dell Driver Download site (referenced above), click to expand the Chipset tab, then download the 'Intel - driver - applies to Mobile Chipset'. Install this driver set, reboot, then see where we are.

Thanks,
Todd

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:13 PM

Good advice Todd, thanks for posting that! :thumbsup:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#14 MidwestTech

MidwestTech

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

Thanks Bruce.

#15 babycakes444

babycakes444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:36 PM

Ok - I downloaded the Intel chipset driver set from Dell & rebooted but am still encountering the same problem. I still have 6 instances of 'unknown device' with the yellow question/exclamation marks under 'Other Devices'. I tried uninstall & reboot for the unknown devices as well as trying to update drivers through the device manager. I continue to get 'cannot install this hardware' through the wizard & each instance in device manager states 'this device is not configured correctly'. However, there are now 5 Intel 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controllers (2658, 2659, 265A, 265B, 265C) listed under Universal Serial Bus Controllers which were not there previous.

When plugging in a USB memory card reader just to see what happens, the power light on the reader lights up but of course nothing happens. I didn't think it would, but thought maybe it was important to state that there seems to be power at least coming from the ports.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users