Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp auto reboot ev. hour or so

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 1Jay1

1Jay1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

My xp is 4 years old. Past 6 months it will reboot automatically - and open as if nothing happened. Is this a virus or a hardware failure?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:35 PM

Past six months?

First guess...overheating of system components.

System manufacturer and model?

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#3 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:32 PM

Does it shut down before it restarts itself or does it just go from moving your mouse and bam, it beeps and is loading windows again?

#4 1Jay1

1Jay1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:38 PM

Past six months?

First guess...overheating of system components.

System manufacturer and model?

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

Many thanks for the quick reply... will try your suggestion and see what happens... will answer tomorrow. I'm sorry I'm a little slow at this stage although had many years since the 1st Sinclair. So please be patient with me. It's an HP Pentium 4. I had it open & cleaned out any dust. All fans work! - but you're right, it could be a hardw. failure.
J

#5 1Jay1

1Jay1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:53 PM

Does it shut down before it restarts itself or does it just go from moving your mouse and bam, it beeps and is loading windows again?

Thanks for answering Gabrial.
Yes, it will just shut down like normal, then restart. It only does this after an hour or so.
J

#6 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:40 PM

If it's calling the shutdown functions of Windows, it's probably not an overheating problem. Could something be hitting the power button on the machine, or could there be a short going on in the computer on that switch line?

Try disabling the power off button from within windows:

1. Click Start -> Control Panel.
2. Double-click "Power Options".
3. Click the "Advanced" tab.
4. Change all three "Power buttons" options to "Do nothing".

If you still have shutdown/restart problems, it could be the result of badly configure software update program, or malware.

You should probably run over to Am I Infected? and start a thread there too, telling them your computer shuts itself down and restarts intermittently.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:45 PM

Let's try something a little more basic first.

If you stop the automatic restarts you will get an error message, so let's stop the automatic restarts.

Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced> Startup and Recovery. Under startup and Recovery click on Settings, uncheck the box in Automatically restart under System failure.

Please copy the exact error message and post it back here.

Edited by dc3, 28 September 2010 - 06:48 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:31 PM

If it's a BSoD, it won't do a shutdown, it will simply close open file handles and halt the system. He said it shuts down properly (a.k.a Windows logo, "Windows is shutting down...").

Unless I am misunderstanding it's not a BSoD reboot or hardware pulling the reset line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users