Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No system sounds - Microsoft Synthesizer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 IndyAL

IndyAL

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

Hey gang - thanks for trying to help me out.

I have been trying to determine why I can never hear sounds when playing things like youtube videos.

I-tunes type music will play, but when I go to the "Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices" it shows me that there is "No Audio Device" loaded.

I have a Windows XP SP3 system, Pentium 4 2.00 GHz CPU, and Creative SB Audigy.

In the Device manager it shows no conflicts or issues under "Sound, video and game controllers"

At someones suggestion I used a "dxdiag" command to test the sound using DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
Here are the results:
Sound Test: DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x88780078 (No driver)
Music Test: 3 Ports available:

Microsoft Synthesizer: DirectMusic test results: Failure at step 6 (Activating the IDirectMusicPort):
HRESULT = 0x88780078 (No driver)
SB Audigy DirectMusic Synthesizer: DirectMusic test results: All tests were successful.
SB Audigy Audio: DirectMusic test results: All tests were successful.

Now I need to know how to fix the Microsoft Synthesizer driver problem. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Please let me know if you need more info. I am fairly technical, but am hit or miss with software issues.

Thanks,

- AL in Indy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:57 PM

Hi IndyAl and welcome to the forum!

The first thing I would try is to uninstall and reinstall the sound card drivers.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:55 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

#4 IndyAL

IndyAL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:11 PM

I have not tried uninstalling and reinstalling sound drivers. If there is a "how to" guide on doing that, please let me know or add a link to it here.

I have done the Speccy profile creation. Here is the link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Vjin1XPgK4vyQlC2T5MZQFW

Thanks and let me know if you have other ideas.

- AL in Indy

#5 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:20 PM

It appears you have no sound driver installed on your system.

For your Intel D850MV, download and install the following two drivers in this order:

1. Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (INF) [INFINST_ENU.EXE]
2. Audio: ADI* Soundmax* Driver for D850MD/D850MV

Then check to see if your sound is working.

Do you have a seperate sound card? If so, it may have come unseated from the connector on the mainboard.

1. Power off the machine.
2. Unplug the machine.
3. Hit the power button to drain any residual capacitance in the power supply.
4. Get a screw driver and open the case.
5. Touch somewhere on the case metal to ground yourself. Static discharge can cause damage to electronic equipment.
6. Locate the sound card and remove it from the mainboard, it usually has a screw holding it in place.
7. Press it firmly back into the slot, making sure the card connector is in the slot evenly at each end by looking at the side of it.
8. Put any screws back in you removed.
9. Plug the machine back in.
10. Power on the machine.

Make sure your speakers are plugged into the green hole, either on your mainboard or sound card.

Check your sound again, and check in Device Manager for any "Unknown devices" or any devices with red or yellow question marks by them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users