Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't View Hotmail Via Oe

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 grandpaw7

grandpaw7

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:52 PM

I have XP for consumers and SP2. I have OE6. I have emptied my cache. AVG, MS antispyware, spyware blaster and spyware guard don't show any problems.

Until Oct 21 of this year, I could view the hotmail I received in OE. But the last hotmail to show up in OE was on Oct 21, though I have received a lot of hotmail since then.

I have removed the Hotmail account for OE and put it back in. But when I opened OE it still showed Hotmail only up to Oct 21.

OE continued to show all my Hotmail forums until this morning when they disappeared after I once again removed the Hotmail account from OE.

When I still had the Hotmail account on OE, and went to Tool>Synchronize All, a message would flash for a second, not long even for me to read it.

When I first tried to send a Hotmail messages via OE, I got this message:
"Outlook Express has encountered a problem and needs to close". It provides a place to send MS a report, which I did. When I tried a second time to send a hotmail via OE, I got the OE report that sending the message, and checking Hotmail for messages, both failed.

The details for not being able to send were: an unknown error has occurred: Account "Hotmail" Server. http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp. Protocol HTTPMail Server Response "Redirect to partner. Port 0, Secure (SSL) No. Error Number 0x80004005.

The details for not being able to poll Hotmail for new messages was: Unable to poll for new messages on your HTTP server. with the rest of the message being identical to the first message.

Anybody have any ideas as to what I might do to get OE to get my Hotmail messages?

grandpaw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:06 PM

I have had a Hotmail email since the 90's and then they allowed you to confiure through OE. Because of spammer abuse the free accounts(so they say) are only allowed thru webmail. From what I have read you need to pay $19/yr to be able to use it through OE.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 06:17 PM

Hi Acklan and grandpaw7
Hope you don't mind me butting in here, but I had this same problem myself a whuile back! :thumbsup:
For existing customers who have had the Hotmail/OE combo for some time it still works OK, at least it should! Last year they threatened to make all customers pay for the privilege of reading Hotmail in OE, but it hasn't happened yet, only for new customers.
My problem turned out in the end to be due to an alteration in my LAN settings, but before I realised that I had quite a good dialogue with the Hotmail support people, who really did their best to help!
it might be worth having a go at them anyway, as it may be a problem their end.
Cheers
Luci2a :flowers:

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:34 AM

I don't mind a bit. That is an excellent POST luci2a. Nice work.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:17 AM

Thanks Acklan! :thumbsup:

#6 grandpaw7

grandpaw7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:21 AM

Hi, acklan and luci2a. I'm not sure how this works, I don't see a place for a title to this post. Also, I didn't receive email notice of your posts, maybe it takes more time.

Anyhow, I've solved my problem by restoring my system to Oct 19, which predates the Oct 21 beginning of the problem.

I have Hotmal Plus. OE and Hotmail were getting along fine till Oct 21. I have no idea what I did on that date to cause the rife getween them. grandpaw

#7 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:28 AM

Glad you sorted it out! :thumbsup:
Luci2a

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow