Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rebuilding my MacBook?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wcmor02

wcmor02

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

Hello Everyone! :thumbsup:

A very long story short- I dropped my laptop in a (full) bathtub. To clarify, as I went to catch the laptop I thought I had saved it (it was not fully submerged) but when I pulled the laptop out water did drain out the bottom (arg!).

This happened about 2 years ago. I had let it dry and took it to the Apple Store (warranty) but of course it was void. They were going to charge me $800 to fix it. Since then, its been sitting in my closet.

Now at the time I was not tech oriented, but since then I have been studying information systems @ university and I built my own desktop. I am comfortable now with the tech skills required to work on the hardware of the system.

My question is, how can I go about figuring what components need replaced or not? Would it be more cost effective to just replace everything/build a new laptop? My goal is to have a working laptop again, by the most effective means.

The motherboard does show some corrosion - is any too much?

I can not test the laptop currently because when it died I thought I was going to sell it for parts on eBay, so I destroyed the HD...(arg again!) If rebuilding seems promising, I will buy a HD obviously.

Thanks to anyone offering their knowledge!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:37 PM

The motherboard does show some corrosion - is any too much?

Yes. Once the chemical reaction has occurred, it's virtually impossible to restore reliable operation. If the board(s) are immediately thoroughly flushed with distilled water to wash out contaminants then pure alcohol to sequester the water, and dried, preferably using compressed air to drive moisture from nooks & crannies, it may survive. Once corrosion is established, fine tracks can be eaten through, conductive paths established beneath surface mounted components, switch & socket contacts corroded etc.

If there was no cost involved, it might be OK to experiment with just for the exercise. Since you'd need to source at least a hard drive (battery unused for 2 years? May be bad also), I wouldn't suggest it's worth it. The guys at my workplace who do video cameras won't guarantee any repair of corrosion even if cleaning up the location restores operation. We've seen them work for weeks or months then just start misbehaving randomly.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users