Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it worth it to add more memory to a Gateway 700s PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AnnW

AnnW

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:36 PM

I am not a hardware person but understand that installing memory is not very difficult and have been considering doing an upgrade myself.

I have a Gateway 700s PC with 256M RDRAM pc800 memory. It has an Intel 2.4ghz Pentium 4 processor & motherboard. It is very slow and I want to add more RAM to speed it up. I use the PC for email, Excel, word processing and recently started using Photoshop Elements 6 on it.

I'd like to install another 1G of memory. I checked Crucial.com and Newegg.com for prices and availability. Crucial doesn't stock ram for this machine and Newegg just told me that the memory for this machine is no longer manufactured.

However, memorystock.com states that they do have memory for this machine which is described as "1Gb kit of 2 pcs 512MB, Rdram Rambus 184p RIMM, 533 Bus speed 40ns" which costs $169.95. I'm attaching their link http://www.memorystock.com/memory/Gateway700S24G.html.

Can you tell me if this price is reasonable and if this ram is compatible with my machine. Also, if its worthwhile to upgrade ram on a machine that is eight years old.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wcmor02

wcmor02

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:34 PM

Personally I would not pay that price to increase RAM on a system that old. I would take that money and start saving for a better computer. A quick scan on NewEgg shows new laptops with 2-3 GB of ram for $400.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

I'd also question the value of spending that much on such a system. However for moderate usage, a 2.4GHz P4 is still workable (I use a 1.6GHz Duron laptop with 512M RAM for internet & light document & image processing), and 256M of memory will certainly be cramping you. The slow video will also hamper working with larger images, but at least it has its own memory so it doesn't steal system memory.

Perhaps the 512M upgrade for one third the cost would be a good compromise if you must retain that system for some time. Tripling the memory to 768M would make a fair difference, and is quite viable for XP.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 AnnW

AnnW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:15 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am considering the 512 upgrade. As you mention, its much less of an investment and should speed the machine up somewhat.

I'm reading "Degunking your PC" which talks about the value of cleaning the PC and peripherals. Apparently accumulated dust both inside and outside the tower can also contribute to slowing up the machine. I'd like to clean the inside of the tower as a way of familiarizing myself with the process of disconnecting the cables and opening the tower. I intend to use an antistatic wristband and pressurized air when doing that. Any other suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users