Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how do i find changed/moved files?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rebecca7119

rebecca7119

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:41 PM

I am trying to locate some pictures that were located in my pictures folder but have disappeared,on doing a search the file name comes up but it says that "this shortcut has been changed or removed" I have looked everywhere but cant find them.Not in recycle bin so not deleted please help!!

Edited by Orange Blossom, 28 September 2010 - 03:41 PM.
Moved from Images etc. Mini-guides to XP (assuming XP is OS in question) ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:57 PM

Have you tried the wild card search for the pics? *.jpg,*.gif

#3 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:52 PM

When using the Start -> Search function in windows, if i brings up the new Windows Search 4.0 it will have a link at the bottom to use the old search, use that.

Then click advanced settings and click "All files and folders" then "More Advanced Options" and check "Search system folders", "Search hidden files and folders", and "Search subfolders." Uncheck the other two options.

For the filename put in "*.jpg" and for the "Look in:" select "Local hard drives".

Click search. This will take awhile, but will look everywhere for jpeg files on the hard drive. Repeat for other file types if the pictures are in other formats, like .gif, .bmp, .png, etc. Photos are usually .jpg though.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

Windows Search 4.0 is not native to XP, optional update via Windows Update. Native on Vista.

Start/Search...All Files & Folders...More Advanced Options...check the first 3 items...go to top of that screen and enter *.jpg as the search string.

Louis

#5 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:26 PM

Hahah, Louis I think I just said that. xD

#6 rebecca7119

rebecca7119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

thanks guys ended up buying recover software as i had deleted the pictures from the recycle bin :thumbsup:

#7 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:48 PM

Good to hear you got things sorted out. Good to hear you support software vendors. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users