Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

An IT guy can't seem to solve the issue!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Niseb

Niseb

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:38 AM

Okay, so I go to turn on my wonderful computer where my explorer.exe just seemed to stop functioning. On rollover it seems to be in a constant load loop. I have a fast enough computer to where it wouldn't load as long as it was. Well, I soon found out it was never going to fully load, so I tried ctrl + shift + esc. Nothing. ctrl + alt + del. Nothing again. So I force restart and boot in safe mode. It runs fine so it can't be a system file. So I then decide to load back and press f8 repeatedly to boot up into 'repair your computer'. So I do that and I do a system restore. It fixes the issue! Only problem... about 3-4 days later it gives me the same issue! So I system restore again! It fixes it and then I run malwarebytes to make sure whatever was around is gone. It comes back 3-4 days later! So I system restore again. I don't like system restoring, however it does seem to be that some kind of windows update is causing issues. Anyone know anything that I'm just not understanding? I've searched google all day on this and can't find much.

Edit: Moved topic from Win 7 to the more appropriate forum due to staff suggestion. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 27 September 2010 - 10:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niseb

Niseb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:04 PM

anyone?

#3 Niseb

Niseb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:06 PM

System.out.println("Bump for the epic win");

#4 Niseb

Niseb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:16 PM

nothing? not a single reply? did I stump everyone or something?

#5 TheBlackMage

TheBlackMage

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:07 AM

Backup everything thats important and fresh install win7 back. The only reason explorer.exe wont work is most likely because of a corrupt OS

#6 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:47 AM

Hi,

please upload the file to virustotal so we can see if it has been infected:

Please make sure that you can view all hidden files. Instructions on how to do this can be found here:

How to see hidden files in Windows

Please click this link-->Jotti

When the jotti page has finished loading, click the browse button and navigate to the files listed below in bold, then click Submit. You will only be able to have one file scanned at a time.
C:\windows\explorer.exe

Please post back the results of the scan in your next post.

If Jotti is busy, try the same at Virustotal: http://www.virustotal.com/

Edited by myrti, 30 September 2010 - 09:47 AM.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Niseb

Niseb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:02 PM

Backup everything thats important and fresh install win7 back. The only reason explorer.exe wont work is most likely because of a corrupt OS

There are several easy ways to repair the OS without even formatting the hardrive such as running a startup clean when you hit 'repair computer'. Command prompt can also help when you have corrupt system files. but thats just it, it isn't corrupt system files, I've tried repairing the problems using these neat repair tools windows was so kind to give. Well, I'm not a real fan of wiping a hardrive unless it is absolutely necissary and nothing else works, as I have several very expensive programs and would rather not deal with reinstalling about 300 gigs of programs and settings.

#8 Niseb

Niseb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:08 PM

Hi,

please upload the file to virustotal so we can see if it has been infected:

Please make sure that you can view all hidden files. Instructions on how to do this can be found here:

How to see hidden files in Windows

Please click this link-->Jotti

When the jotti page has finished loading, click the browse button and navigate to the files listed below in bold, then click Submit. You will only be able to have one file scanned at a time.
C:\windows\explorer.exe

Please post back the results of the scan in your next post.

If Jotti is busy, try the same at Virustotal: http://www.virustotal.com/

VirusTotal Response:
File already submitted: The file sent has already been analysed by VirusTotal in the past. This is same basic info regarding the sample itself and its last analysis:

MD5: 2626fc9755be22f805d3cfa0ce3ee727
Date first seen: 2009-12-23 21:09:21 (UTC)
Date last seen: 2010-09-29 21:53:20 (UTC)
Detection ratio: 0/43
What do you wish to do?

I then hit view other reports... this is what I got:

1 VT Community user(s) with a total of 9 reputation credit(s) say(s) this sample is goodware. 0 VT Community user(s) with a total of 0 reputation credit(s) say(s) this sample is malware.
File name: explorer.exe
Submission date: 2010-09-29 21:53:20 (UTC)
Current status: finished
Result: 0 /43 (0.0%)

100% safety score goodware.

Now I had a honest thought that there had to be a minor system file that might've gone corrupt... Well I went and saw that when I tried to update my computer it had failed the update. This was interesting as it spent about 10 minutes at a 0% status, then telling me the update didn't work. So I signed in and said the computer needed to be restarted to re-apply the update. So I restarted to see what it would do, and it did finally install that update. I started up my computer and it ran fine... However its also possible that the small corrupt file might have fixed itself from the automatic update. My my if that is the case then windows is even better than expected.

If you know anything I do not please tell me all about it. Otherwise I will spend a week simply using my computer to see if I come up with the same problem, as this problem spans for about 5 days.

#9 Niseb

Niseb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

One possibility: CCleaner has a problem with running registries. It auto-detects registrys that believes that there is no support file to and is only messing with the valuable values of your computer. Well I found out that removing the registries that CCleaner recommends to remove wields more problems then fix it. It is a possibility I may have used CCleaner to clean up my registry, only to have it corrupt some nameless system registry file. Just an idea but not sure if this might have caused it.

#10 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,784 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:07 AM

Hi,

it is quite possible that that may happen, I usually advise against all use of registry cleaners. The temporary file cleaner featured in CCleaner is fine however, that should not pose any problem.

Please also run a scan with Kaspersky:
Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner

Click on Kaspersky Online Scanner

You will be prompted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
  • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
  • Now click on Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
    • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
    Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
    • Scan Options:
    Scan Archives
    Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Now under select a target to scan:Select My Computer
  • This will program will start and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
    • Now click on the Save as Text button:
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

#11 TheBlackMage

TheBlackMage

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:31 PM

There are several easy ways to repair the OS without even formatting the hardrive such as running a startup clean when you hit 'repair computer'. Command prompt can also help when you have corrupt system files. but thats just it, it isn't corrupt system files, I've tried repairing the problems using these neat repair tools windows was so kind to give. Well, I'm not a real fan of wiping a hardrive unless it is absolutely necissary and nothing else works, as I have several very expensive programs and would rather not deal with reinstalling about 300 gigs of programs and settings.

I know but I was just saying that as a final option type of idea since noone else was replying on it. Also yea I'm not a fan of reinstalling either its a pain but thats why one time I just fresh installed and installed all my programs then I used clonezilla to clone my drive so that if there is any problem I can just backup my files then just replace it with my fresh cloned version.

#12 Niseb

Niseb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:50 AM

Hey its me again with more bad news. Sorry guys. So here I am... with the same issue coming back. And this time I believe I can replicate the issue! So I go and my girlfriend tells me that there is a new windows live messenger for download. So I go to download it and it is a package that seemed to install many things. (but very legitimate) it installed properly and used it for a good 3 minutes when suddenly I saw my computer break down in front of my eyes! A singular window stopped functioning in attempt to X out of it. So I pressed ctrl + alt + del only to see it wasn't functioning. I looked down and it almost showed next to the time that the task manager was up... but nothing was showing. Then it killed itself under a black screen. I restarted and it wouldn't start properly giving me the same error in the original post. I went to system restore AGAIN and found that WLM installed a few windows updates. Woah... windows updates are corrupting my system? what am I doing wrong? is something not synchronized? are there tools for this?! this is scaring the living piss out of me! Excuse the language.

#13 Niseb

Niseb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:20 PM

Okay I'm going to go ahead and re-run malwarebytes and afterwords run a chkdsk /r. Any other things I should do to hopefully get rid of this dang issue?

#14 Niseb

Niseb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:49 PM

Okay I'm going to go ahead and re-run malwarebytes and afterwords run a chkdsk /r. Any other things I should do to hopefully get rid of this dang issue?

Okay it seems to be functioning. Even ran the windows live update and it didn't give me issues. It should be okay. Only time will tell.

#15 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,784 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:41 AM

Hi,

so the issue was not related to malware?

regards myrti

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users