Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Laptop Overheating

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dmcrooc

dmcrooc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:57 AM

I have an Acer Extensa 4620Z and I've been using it for about 2 years now. I have a few problems with this laptop and I hope someone here can help.

I usually have my laptop plugged in (they say it's a bad thing) and a few months ago the battery just gave up on me. Now my laptop doesn't run when it is not plugged in. I also noticed that my laptop would suddenly shut down by itself after using it for about an hour so. I figured there must be something wrong its cooling system so I bought a cooling pad. My laptop works OK with a cooling pad, but I still get the usual shut downs every now and then.

My questions are:
1. Could the overheating be caused by plugging in the laptop all the time?
2. Is there a way to check if the fan is working properly?
3. With this overheating problem, do I need to bring the laptop to the Acer service center to have it checked?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:32 AM

Try to clean the dust if you know, and if you don't take the laptop to service
If you never cleaned the dust , don't do it, it's complicated to clean the laptop
You can damage the parts...

#3 llelouch

llelouch

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:48 PM

I remember my Inspiron 5150 from years ago used to have this problem. There was even class action suit for it. Overheating problem. It was my first and last Dell laptop that I will ever buy. I think your problem is probably overheating. I think the system is shutting down because the processor is overheating. Overheating might cause a lot of damage to the laptop...depending on what is overheating...

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:04 PM

My questions are:
1. Could the overheating be caused by plugging in the laptop all the time?
2. Is there a way to check if the fan is working properly?
3. With this overheating problem, do I need to bring the laptop to the Acer service center to have it checked?

1. Not likely.
2. If you know what the normal fan speed/s are, then you can use a program like SIW to monitor them.
3. What max7bg wrote isn't exactly accurate. There have been a number of members here that have had at least some success by using canned air to blow out the interior of the laptop through the openings in the case. The most important would be the opening where the fan over the CPU is located.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users