Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mandriva

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 VKing1

VKing1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:43 AM

Need help:

I recently installed Mandriva Linux on my laptop which is runned on Xp. The original idea is to have both systems in operation, but unfortunately I missed some steps during the installation which rendered me not able to see the XP while booting ( I expected to have a choice of systems to boot into at startup after installing Mandriva).

How do I recover XP?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:47 PM

Boot into an XP restore disk (the one that came with your computer) and type R at the prompt. You should now be in a command line. Run the following commands: fixboot, and fixmbr.
Now try to boot XP normally.

#3 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:44 PM

Shadow Bird,

i think if he tries that he will no longer be able to use the mandriva OS, but probably will be able to use windows again.

VKing1,

i have done what you have done, many times. only with different distros. i would have just tried again with mandriva, or another distro. your windows OS is still there, the bootloader for mandriva (probably grub) took control of it.
can you remember what you did (or probably did) wrong?

#4 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:15 AM

Way too little information to offer accurate help at this point. We need to know how many drives are in your computer and where the two OS are physically installed. From the Linux installation, open a terminal, enter su then press the Enter key. You will be asked for the root password. Enter it then press the Enter key again. At the root prompt;

[root@localhost ~]# fdisk -l <Enter> <-- That's a lower case L not a number 1

Use copy/paste to post your results, so we can see them as you see them.

#5 VKing1

VKing1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:13 PM

Thanks guys for the input, I shall mess about with my computer for now and come back to you later.

#6 VKing1

VKing1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:06 PM

I tried out the Mandriva, but decided I didn't like it. So I replaced it with Ubuntu which I think is great. And Ubuntu actually includes a loader which lets me boot into my Windows XP. Unfortunately my XP is corrupted somewhere, therefore I still can't bootup XP.
Any input as I how I can repair this?

#7 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:00 PM

Does Ubuntu use Grub or Grub2 ?

#8 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:55 PM

Ramchu,

i'm almost certain the last two versions, karmic koala 9.10, and lucid lynx 10.04, are grub2. all other versions are grub.

i'd say there's a pretty good chance he's using lucid lynx 10.04. people usually want the latest.

VKing1,

under: system>about ubuntu it should tell you the version you have.

#9 VKing1

VKing1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

Thanks guys for your help. Unfortunately while I was in the process to recover the XP, the HD died. There wasn't anything important in the disk anyway; the machine was used purely for experimental purpose. I guess I'll miss all the fun for now until I find a replacement.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users