Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nikon NCC Files no longer recognized by XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NikonGuy

NikonGuy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:02 AM

Hi there,

My computer (Windows XP Pro SP3) has recognised my Nikon NCC files (plus SEP and SPF?) for more than 2 years, but stopped doing so today.

I have these same files backed up on an external drive, and when connected to a laptop, they are recognised.

The only recent changes made was the installation of Google Maps and Google Street View.??

Can you please help as I need to be able to open them on my PC rather than laptop.

Many thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:51 AM

What do you mean by "not recognized"?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:59 AM

If I understand your issue, your explorer file associations for your .ncc (Nikon Capture Camara) files has changed.

In order to restore file associations for the files normally associated with your software, there is sometimes an option within the software to restore these associations, but usually you will need to reinstall the software to restore all file associations that are normally linked to this program.

#4 NikonGuy

NikonGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:55 AM

By "not recognized" I mean that Windows won't open the files.

I get the window that says: Windows cannot open this file.......search the internet, etc."

The files are visible in "My Documents", but it does not have the normal Nikon icon before it.

#5 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:07 PM

Yes, your .ncc files are no longer associated with the program you want to open them with. Do you have the install media that you originally installed the program from?

Try this:

Right click on the file and go to "Open With". Is the program you used to use listed there?

Edited by Gabrial, 27 September 2010 - 12:08 PM.

#6 NikonGuy

NikonGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:53 AM

Many thanks so far!

When right-clicking on the file in My Documents, there is no option to "Open with"; only OPEN, which then takes me back to "Windows cannot open this file...."

Yes, I do have the origional installation media I used to install it. Want me to do a re-install, and should I first un-install?

#7 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:10 PM

Try to install over the top of the existing installation first, it might give you the opportunity to repair your installation. If not try to install over the top of what you have.

Some installers let you, some will require you to uninstall first.

Give it a go and see.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:04 PM

When right-clicking on the file in My Documents, there is no option to "Open with"

Do any other files have "Open with" option?
Try to highlight the file, hold SHIFT and right click. Is "Open with" there now?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#9 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:28 PM

If the "Open with" doesn't appear then there is no entry for .ncc in extention history. That's what I was looking for. If there was, he could just get explorer to switch it back to the other one as default. Since it's not there it has to be rebuilt by the installer, or build each association by hand. The installer is the easier approach.

#10 NikonGuy

NikonGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:06 AM

Problem Solved!!

Many thanks to both of you!!

I simply re-installed over the existing installation, the icons re-appeared, and if I now right-click, it gives the option to "Open With".

Better still, when the camera is now connected to my PC, turning on the camera activates the software, which in turn accesses the .ncc files on request.

Strangely though, the SEP, SPF and DMG files (I dont really know what they are!) I mentioned at the outset, still appear and behave the same as what the ncc files did. I don't intend losing sleep over these, unless you tell me they are critical to fix.

Again, many thanks & kind regards.

#11 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:15 PM

Glad you got things going well. Happy computing!

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:47 PM

Good job :thumbsup:

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users