Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Pinestump

Pinestump

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:57 AM

I think my Internal Hard drive is filling up because of all the photo`s I have from fishing,hunting and wildlife trips.My Hard Drive is not that big to begin with.Right now my C:Drive shows 55.3 GB and 34.8GB as used,20.5GB as free.I`m thinking about buying an USB External Hard Drive,so I can transfer all of my Photo`s to it.I`m retired and on a budget,so I can`t afford a top-of- the-line drive.And I don`t want to go thru all the hassle of replacing my Internal Drive.I know I can save them to CD,But I want to keep them for easy access.Any suggestions as to size or make or reliability? I have a Desktop computer. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:38 AM

Seagate FreeAgent, Iomega Prestige, Western Digital Elements series of external HDs are pretty decent.

Some external HDs require a power source and some run off the USB port. Some sport the basic USB functionality, some offer additional connectivity options. Prices vary with brands and capacity.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 Pinestump

Pinestump
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:03 PM

Which would be a better choice one with it`s own power source or USB connection?Is one more reliable than the other?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:08 PM

If what I read it correct, that computer has an extra bay for a hdd. Why are you considering an external if this is the case?

If you do purchase an external, buy one that its own power supply so that is isn't drawing off of the USB bus voltage.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Pinestump

Pinestump
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:10 AM

Yes it does, but I don`t know if I could format the new HDD myself or what ever what it takes to get it up and running.Because I`m on a budget and I`m a Do-It Yourselfer to a certain point.The Physical part of putting in an extra Internal Hard Drive is no problem.I can do that,It`s the technical part that I`m not to sure about. :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:54 AM

You could use the Disk Management function of Windows to easily initialize/format the hard drive, whether internal or external.

More Info Than You Need On Such.

Simply attach the drive properly internally (with system off), then boot system and go to Disk Management (Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter).

The new drive should be reflected in the lower portion of the screen as an unformatted drive.

Right-click on Disk x (where x represents the number assigned) and select Initialize.

Once initialized, you will be able to format/create a new partition or partitions on the drive. I suggest electing to create Primary partitions, along with NTFS file system.

Once the partitions are created, the new partitions will appear in My Computer and be useable for storage.

Louis

#7 Pinestump

Pinestump
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:16 AM

You know I`m gonna give this a go.If I run into any problems or something I don`t understand I can always come back here for help. :thumbsup:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:46 AM

Once you do it...you will realize how easy it is intended to be :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:57 PM

One advantage to an external is that if you wanted to take all your pictures somewhere to show them to someone you could do that easily.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:07 PM

One advantage to an external is that if you wanted to take all your pictures somewhere to show them to someone you could do that easily.

One word... flash drive!

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:33 PM

One word... flash drive!

Two words... two words!

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:04 PM

Let's see... I could say it was a senior minute, or I'm just not good a multitasking, or I just failed counting in first grade? :thumbsup:

#13 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:55 PM

I think my Internal Hard drive is filling up because of all the photo`s I have from fishing,hunting and wildlife trips.My Hard Drive is not that big to begin with.Right now my C:Drive shows 55.3 GB and 34.8GB as used,20.5GB as free.I`m thinking about buying an USB External Hard Drive,so I can transfer all of my Photo`s to it.I`m retired and on a budget,so I can`t afford a top-of- the-line drive.And I don`t want to go thru all the hassle of replacing my Internal Drive.I know I can save them to CD,But I want to keep them for easy access.Any suggestions as to size or make or reliability? I have a Desktop computer. :thumbsup:

In the past I have previously made my own using Samsung hard drives and getting external enclosures from Macally, Vantec, etc. I found out that Verbatim only uses Samsung drives in their products now so I just buy Verbatim external hard drives.

Although I trust these external drives if you really value your data you should ALWAYS double up. I store my data on the external hard drives and use DVD+R5 and DVD+R9 media for redundancy.

#14 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:23 AM

In my opinion, everyone should have an external hard drive for their most personal and important files. So even if your computer EXPLODES!! AHAHAHAHAHAA

.....the pictures that you can only take ONCE, and the videos that were captured at JUST THE RIGHT TIME and the music that TAKES FOREVER to download will be safe and secure in another location....

That is unless you are a regular klutzy pants and you drop it all the time. Then there is no hope.....

Most external drives these days start at 250GB within the price range of $75-$90.... These figures are for drives that are USB powered. This means that all you have to do is plug it into your computer. There are other drives that have to be AC powered (plugged into the wall) but I feel that defeats the purpose of "READY" storage.

Start with a 250GB, it's the most inexpensive option and will do the same thing as a 2TB drive...... just not as big, of course. :thumbsup:

I had a Seagate Free Agent and it was pretty good to me but I played frisbee with it too much and now it is dead. I called Seagate to see if there was any way to extract the data and they said that they'd have to send it to some "state-of-the-art" clean center where they could retrieve my precious files for a modest fee of $1,500.

I declined... so now I canibalize hard drives from dead laptops and put them in enclosures.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#15 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:29 PM

^^^^Not sure if you have checked out prices lately? You can get a Verbatim 1TB external drive for $82 shipped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users