Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Tell If My Hp A705w Has A Pci Video Slot?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Chrissypa

Chrissypa

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:34 AM

Hello, I got my son a video card for Christmas(yes I know it's early)but anyway, I didn't realize till after I got it that I was supposed to make sure the computer had a PCI slot. How do I know if it does? Can you tell me what it looks like? I can take a photo of the inside if you need it. I installed ram a few month's ago and it is working great but he wanted a new video card. I got a maddog dominator fx 5500 pci video card. That is the one they said I needed for the computer. But the photo's I got off of the HP site really didn't show me what I needed. Anyway, Thanks. Chris
Go Steelers!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:50 AM

Hi Chrissypa.

When you look in the case the PCI slots are side by side and always colored white. If you use the PCI video card you need to put it in the 1st slot that is the one closest to the processor, even if you have to move another card futher away.
If you have an AGP slot, there will only be one and it will be closest to the processor. It will be always brown in color. The is the best choice for video.
Could you post the link of the site you described in your POST?

Edit This link states it has an intergrated AGP video, and no AGP slot available for upgrade. According to the picture Mr Alpha has linked it has a AGP slot as pictured in the middle colored brown.

Edited by acklan, 13 November 2005 - 12:04 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:57 AM

Yes, the HP A705w comes with several PCI slots.

Here I've marked out the PCI slots with the red rounded rectangle:
Posted Image
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 Chrissypa

Chrissypa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:07 PM

I got the info about changing video cards here hp There is a card in the first slot. Like it would be on the bottom of the computer if you stood it up. Is that the one I have to remove? And another thing, is it just the video card or is it other things? I'll try to explain myself. It says on the hp site that this is an expansion card and says modem/sound/video. Here is the link.hp manual Thanks, I know I'm confusing.
Go Steelers!!

#5 Chrissypa

Chrissypa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:26 PM

Here are a couple of photo's of the inside. Boy is it dirty!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Go Steelers!!

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:27 PM

Does your motherboard look like the one Mr Alpha posted? If so you will need a AGP. If it is the computer in the link I provided, you will have to use the PCI card verison.
Do you have the papers that came with the computer? If yes, see if it claims to have an intergrated video. Did you buy this computer at Walmart like the link suggests? If yes the link I provided is probibily right and the video is intergrated.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:31 PM

OK that is that. Pop that PCI card in that first slot and you are all set. You do not have an upgradable AGP slot.
You may have to enter the BIOS and change the video setting to PCI from onboard.
I believe you tap F10 when booting the computer to enter the BIOS.

#8 Chrissypa

Chrissypa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:32 PM

So the question is can I use the pci video card and how do I go about doing it? I appreciate all your help!
Go Steelers!!

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:37 PM

Are you sure it's not PCI EXPRESS? There is a hugh difference between PCI and PCI Express. It will say it on the box if it is Express, and the slot won't accept a PCI express card.

To install just remove the screw the holds the first cover plate. Insert the video card firmly in the slot. Replace the screw. Clean the inside of the case :thumbsup:. Close the case. you are done.

Edited by acklan, 13 November 2005 - 12:39 PM.

#10 Chrissypa

Chrissypa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:41 PM

Here is the one I got.maddog Do I have to uninstall the integrated one before installing this one?
Go Steelers!!

#11 Chrissypa

Chrissypa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:45 PM

I have to remove the one that's in the first slot and then put this one in right?
Go Steelers!!

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:50 PM

Just enter the BIOS (remember F10) and switch from onboard to PCI in the VIDEO field.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:51 PM

The first slot is empty according to the picture. Slot 1 is closest to the center of the computer.

#14 Chrissypa

Chrissypa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:53 PM

Oh, ok, thank you so much!! I will get back to you in a little bit to give you an update!
Go Steelers!!

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:57 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: Great I can't wait.. :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic