Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New modem - replacement for Speedstream 4100

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:38 AM

My internet plan (DSL from AT&T) is supposed to around 6 Mb/s, though it's always been around 5.2 Mb/s. Last couple weeks, it suddenly dropped to ~1.2 Mb/s, and when the tech guy came over, he said the problem was our modem.

So, I had a Speedstream 4100 for about 4 years, and I'm looking for an inexpensive replacement for it. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

For whatever reason I am seeing a bunch of DSL modems die recently (Motorola 2210 mainly).

I don't think there is anything wrong with the 4100. I think it is one of the more reliable modems from what I gather.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:14 PM

The problem is that the 4100 is not sold new... and I'd really rather not buy used, especially since this one just halfway died recently.

#4 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

Bump.

Can someone tell me what I need to look for (if anything) in terms of compatibility?

Also, what makes a cheap modem different from an expensive modem? Just max speeds?
Would something like this be compatible (give that I had Speedstream 4100 before)? (Cheapest ethernet modem on Newegg) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16825120003

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:39 AM

You linked to a cable modem, not a DSL modem.

Price and speed are not really related. More expensive modems have built in routers or wifi. In your case, there really isn't an "upgrade" related to download speed. Your current modem is as fast as it gets, assuming it isn't defective.

With ATT you need to be careful as there are two different modems depending on location. At least there are when dealing with Motorolas. Not sure on your model.

Here are some DSL modems:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....-_-adsl%20modem

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:26 PM

Sorry for such a slow reply... I haven't gotten around to buying a modem yet.
I still don't understand why prices can vary so much... though, I don't really understand all these different features they offer.

The cheapest one I saw: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...5-028-_-Product
It has a USB interface... does that mean it connects by USB? I don't think this would work for me, since I'm connecting the computers to a router, and then the router to the modem.

So then this should work for me, right?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...5-051-_-Product

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users