Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Distorted sound, Explorer Freeze & More ZD8000

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 hpzd8000

hpzd8000

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:17 AM

I purchased an HP Zd8000 this past week to replace the one I've had for 5 years that the screen went out on because the new 18.4" Toshiba Win7 Laptop I'd purchased recently will only run AOL 9.5 which is useless for my need of application. When the HP unit arrived, the XP SP1 OS was installed so it booted up but I soon realized none of the drivers were installed. It came with both an Appicatiopn and Recovery DVD as well as another labeled Operating System CD - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2. Since the unit has XP w/SP1 on it, I didn't touch the SP2 Disk for the purpose of a drivers search and installation. Eventually I was able to install the sound drivers and ATI video, shortly after that and I don't know how I did it, I got the unit to recognize my wireless network so I had working video, sound and an internet connection, I thought I was good to go.

The next thing I installed was AOL 8.0, perfect for my application and once I'd made sure all was in
good order there, I thought I'd reward myself with listening to a coupe of enuff z 'nuff songs in I.E. but was advised upon attempting to play that I needed I.E. 8. I gave up on the songs for the moment and decided I needed an antivirus program before I did anything else. I have Norton Internet Security on both of my other Laptops so I thought I'd check the net for reviews and found BitDefender got high marks so I purchased it and downloaded the program. Once downloaded iit wouldn't allow me to enable Real-Time protection stating I was missing a DLL file so I contacted BitDefender asking that they assist and if we couldn't get it done I'd have to request a refund. Next thing you know, I've got the refund ( I must have sent my e-mail to the wrong address ) so I uninstalled BitDefender through their site, following their instructions and once I rebooted, my audio was garbled - distorted. I don't know if the BitDefender uninstall had anything to do with this but it's when I'd first noticed an issue and it did the same thing when signing on to AOL with the "Welcome, you've got mail".

Moving along here.....I at that point tried to update the system to SP2 thinking that may help but I was once again receiving error messages re: missing DLL's and such. I don't remember how I did it but over the course of the day I was finally able to first get SP2 installed then SP3 with about 160 or so Security and this & that updates inbetween all of it and I still had the issue. I then installed I.E. 8 as by this point it would allow me to with the system having been updated so I decided to treat myself with a couple of enuff z 'nuff tunes and all Hell broke loose. I'd start the video, it would be distorted-garbled, then the video would lock up with the song still playing, I couldn't close explorer at all nor could I open any functions on my desktop such as the volume control and then I got the Blue Screen that wasn't there long enough to see why it was there and the unit rebooted.

I then checked for other possibly missing drivers and/or programs my other Zd8000 has on it and found I had no Flashplayer as well as Java that was 5 years old so I then installed the Flashplayer and updated the Java........Just a note, my old Zd8000 says I have Flashplayer and Flashplayer pluggin as well, when I installed it on the new to me unit, it only shows Flashplayer ActiveX 10.......

Sound for the most part has gotten better although there are moments but when I once again tried to play my songs from youtube earlier, all locked up once again and when I was able to bring up Task Manager after 1-2 minutes of trying to get any functionality at all, I found 6 or so dumprep processes running.

I know this is long but I was only trying to describe what has been done leading up to where I still am so if anyone has any ideas a non-expert can understand and follow, I'd appreciate it.

Respectfully, I'm tired

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:16 AM

Well...the first thing I would have suggested...would have been a clean install, assuming that this was a system formerly owned/used by someone else.

The fact that you received a CD with SP2, while the system contained SP1...would have been my cue.

In any case, I suggest contacting the seller of this system or doing a clean install. That way, you can more easily sort issues afterwards.

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Louis

#3 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:00 AM

Also, you don't need to install SP2 before you install SP3. Service Packs are intended to bring you to a certain update point without the need for incremental updates, so you can just install service pack 3 straight away.

#4 hpzd8000

hpzd8000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

I'm going to appear a gump for I am a gump when it comes to this as has already been understood I'm sure. I purchased this unit from an online outfit named Gazelle and did things the way I did as described in my last because the unit already booted up with an OS installed and no instructions and/or even a statement relating to a fresh install came with it so I assumed they had done all up to that point that was required other than driver installation and final setup, my bad I guess. I don't know if what I've just said made any sense, it's the best I can do as I don't know how to relate it in technical terms.......

Although I'd lament the loss of 15-20 hours getting things to the point they are now, I suppose I'd have no issue if it's the proper way to proceed doing what you've advised or at least trying to as I'll admit, I got lost in your instructions when it mentioned both Floppy Disk as well as Partition. I have no Floppy Disk which I understand may be fine but I have no concept of a Partition, what it is, what it's for or even if I need it.

Here is what I have.....Product Key is on the bottom of the unit, do I copy that down for later reference as it is related to on your provided page. After that, the first thing I have to ask is this.....
Your instructions state "Power on the computer. Press the Pause/Break key as soon as you see text on the screen." Next they read "If you currently are running in an OS of any flavor," ( I'll assume I am unless you advise otherwise ) it continues on to read "insert XP CD and restart computer. Skip to #3 if system is configured to boot from CD."

I have 3 Disks that came with this unit. #1: Operating System CD - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2"......#2: Application and Driver Recovery DVD"........#3: Notebook Documentation". I don't think you're relating to #3 but I had to mention it just in case. Which of the 3 Disks do I insert after hitting "Pause/Break".

I don't know what a "Raid Driver" is or if I need to pay any attention to that and could you please address "Partition" if I should in fact need one.

Finally and I hope I explain this well.......It appears for my application per the instructions on your provided instruction page that the sold #'s only apply for my need, not the A's or B's.

I hope I've made sense, can you assist?

Respectfully
Robin

Edited by hpzd8000, 27 September 2010 - 11:06 AM.

#5 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

You should be able to do a clean install. The product key on the COA on the bottom of your HP laptop is *probably* an OEM license key. You can never be sure when buying a used product though. If it is, this means you will need the OEM version of windows XP.

Look at the hologram on the front of the XP cd. Does it say "Only for distribution with a new PC"? If so, it is an OEM version of XP.

Look at the sticker on the case. If it says "OEM" or a company name it's most likely an OEM product key.

Get these to match, and you're ready to start your installation.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:27 AM

Yes, you've made sense :thumbsup:.

I can try to help :flowers:. Those instructions were written to accommodate typical circumstances encountered. There is a great deal of variation possible when it comes to systems...and the author of those instruction tried to include the typical scenarios that might be encountered.

Do not try to install Windows at this time.

1. Yes, you should copy the product key down...you will need it to install Windows.

2. There is no need for a floppy drive...but you do need a CD or DVD drive...in order to use the disks provided by the seller.

3. A RAID is a special setup of a computer system, no need to bother with any instructions pertaining to such.

4. A partition...is what Windows is installed upon...it's a structure on the hard drive which makes the hard drive useable. You need a partition in order to install Windows...you need Windows installed in order to install programs or other files.

Before we go any further...take a look at your laptop and tell us the manufacturer and model. An example would be...Dell Inspiron 1234...or Lenovo Thinkpad 123...or something similar.

Also...you could insert the disk which reads System Documentation and it should indicate the system manufacturer and model. You should insert the CD and see what the system documentation has to say...every owner of a system should do so in order to become minimally acquainted with the functions, capabilities of the system.

If you can post the manufacturer and model in your next post...that would be great.

Louis

#7 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:39 AM

Louis, just pointing out something you may have missed. He said "HP Zd8000" in the first line of his original post. I'm not sure if that's what you want to know.

Edit: I can't tyop.

Edited by Gabrial, 27 September 2010 - 11:39 AM.

#8 hpzd8000

hpzd8000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:51 PM

First I'll address Gabriel in short as best I can in my gump-like fashion. The 3 HP OEM disks mentioned in my last that came with this unit have no Hologram on the front of any of them
but then again, the unit I'm replacing with this one which is identical and purchased Factory
Refurbished back in 2005 I believe so I'm pretty sure the disks that came with the unit just
purchased belong to it......Only an assumption.

Louis, thanks once again........I will do nothing at this time per your instruction. The Laptop
is an HP Zd8000, it's identical to the one I will be replacing it with other then the new one is
a 3.0 P4 w/HT and it came with standard XP Home, the old one is a 2.8 P4, not sure if it's HT
( Hyper Threading ) whatever that means and it came w/Media Center Edition XP by HP.

I'm still a little lost on the "partition" thing but maybe I'll be better educated once I've taken
a full look at the installation instructions page ypu've provided and/or the documentation CD
you'd asked that I go through.

One question before I close this one out, can I insert the documentation CD in one of the 2
Laptops I'm sitting in front of right now to look it all over or does it have to go in the subject
Laptop for me to read all.

Thanks guys
Robin

Edited by hpzd8000, 27 September 2010 - 01:05 PM.

#9 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:11 PM

I'm not familiar with the documentation cd.

It sounds like you may have a system recovery cd set from HP.

This will reset your computer to factory defaults if it's the case. You probably won't even need to enter a license key into windows. Just boot of the cd and walk through the setup. It will wipe your drive, set up partitions, and install Windows and drivers for your laptop back onto the drive.

#10 hpzd8000

hpzd8000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

Thanks Gabriel.....That makes a whole lot of sense. I would like to wait for Louis to look at what you've said to see if he agrees only as a second opinion. I'd also like to know if one or both of you could offer your opinion as to which of the two disks I should insert to perform this task, choices are:
#1: Operating System CD - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2" OR #2: Application and Driver Recovery DVD"

I hope I have described all well my friends

Robin

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

Thanks...must be one of my flashbacks to speed reading without obtaining content :thumbsup:.

Louis

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:27 PM

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...SeriesId=434660

Above link is HP documentation for that system. You should be able to find all pertinent info on how to use those disks...if you read through the links/data on that page.

In this case, you should disregard any other instructions/procedures for doing a clean install (such as the link I provided previously)...HP doesn't play by those rules and the rules they have documented are the ones you should follow for that system.

The data they provide for doing a system recovery/restore...is what you should focus on.

Louis

#13 hpzd8000

hpzd8000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:22 PM

Hi Louis, thanks once again........Without having looked at the link you've provided I'm going to assume it contains the same or similar instructions that I read on the documentation disk I've
now looked over. Below I am going to copy & paste two options provided me in the documentation, do you think I should try option #1 first or do you feel things are most likely so screwed up or for
any otherwise reason, I should just go to option #2.

Option #1:

Repairing the Operating System
To repair the operating system without deleting your personal data, use the Operating System disc that was shipped with the notebook:
1.Connect the notebook to external power and turn on the notebook.
2.Immediately insert the Operating System disc (included with the notebook) into the optical drive.
3.Press and hold the power/standby button for 5 seconds to turn off the notebook.
4.Press the power/standby button again to start the notebook.
5.When prompted, press any key to boot from the disc. After a few minutes, the Welcome to Setup screen is displayed.
6.Press enter to continue. A Licensing Agreement screen is displayed.
ÄIf your system is not recognized as an existing Windows installation, you will not be able to repair the operating system without losing data. Press F3 to exit and refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/ for information on using Recovery Console.
7.Press f8 to accept the agreement and continue. The Setup window is displayed.
8.Press R to repair the selected Windows installation. The repair process begins. The notebook restarts in Windows after the process is complete.

Option #2:

Reinstalling the Operating System
If the System Recovery and operating system repair procedures did not restore functionality to your notebook, it may be necessary to reinstall the operating system.

During the reinstallation, you may be prompted for your Product Key. The Product Key is displayed on the Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity label on the bottom of the notebook.
To reinstall the operating system using the Operating System disc included with the notebook:
1.Connect the notebook to external power and turn on the notebook.
2.Immediately insert the Operating System disc into the optical drive.
3.Press and hold the power/standby button for 5 seconds to turn off the notebook.
4.Press the power/standby button again to turn on the notebook.
5.When prompted, press any key to boot from the disc. After a few minutes, the Welcome to Setup screen is displayed.
6.Press enter to continue. (A Licensing Agreement screen is displayed.)
7.Press f8 to accept the agreement and continue. (The Setup window is displayed.)
8.If you have an existing Windows operating system installation, press esc to continue installing a new copy of the operating system instead of repairing it.

Software Updates, Restorations and Utilities
9.Press enter to set up the operating system.
10.Press C to continue setup using this partition.
11.Select Format the partition using the NTFS file system (Quick), and press enter.
ÄFormatting a drive will delete all current files.
12.Press F to format the drive and follow the on-screen instructions. The reinstallation process begins. This process may take up to 2 hours to complete. The notebook restarts in Windows after the process is complete.
13.Reinstall device drivers and software using the Application and Driver Recovery disc, included with your notebook. Refer to the following section, “Reinstalling Device Drivers and Other Software,” for details.
Reinstalling Device Drivers and Other Software
After the installation process is complete, you must reinstall drivers and other software.
To reinstall drivers use the Application and Driver Recovery disc included with the notebook:
1.While running Windows, insert the Application and Driver Recovery disc into the optical drive.
If you do not have Autorun enabled, select Start > Run. Then type D:\SWSETUP\APPINSTL\SETUP.EXE (where D indicates the optical drive).
2.Follow the on-screen instructions for installing drivers.
After the drivers are reinstalled, you must reinstall any software you added to the notebook. Use the Application and Driver Recovery disc, included with your notebook, or follow the installation instructions provided with the software.

Thanks again Louis ( Gabriel as well )

Robin

Edited by hpzd8000, 27 September 2010 - 02:43 PM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:14 PM

I don't believe in trying to resurrect the dead...just my approach to computers and problems.

From what you have stated, I believe that a clean install was the appropriate step when you first received this system.

I believe it is still the appropriate step, considering that you don't know the history of the system before you took possession of it.

It's your system, your time...you can try to repair/fix it as long as you want...but it seems to me that you already commented on how many hours you spent trying to overcome whatever is wrong.

Louis

#15 hpzd8000

hpzd8000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:18 PM

No Louis, I knew this was going to be your answer and that's just fine.....I may have had wishful thinking but I understood that's all it was. Thanks once again Louis and Gabriel as well. Off I go on the new Journey, wish a gump luck.

Robin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users