Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIN XP Reinstall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GrymReaper

GrymReaper

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:00 AM

Ok so this one is really strange.

Yesterday, I attempt to log on to my favorite MMO, and as I enter the login screen the computer's graphics go crazy. It's like it switched to 4bit color mode. This also froze the PC, so I restarted. Everything looked fine until I tried to log in again. Same thing and another freeze. So, I am forced to restart, but now I can only get in through safe mode and there are dots all over the screen (see below) laid out even before the windows screen. They are not there during POST but are there in any spot that there is an icon/picture. Even the ASUS logo during the initial boot. Below is what they look like all over the screen:

.. .. .. ..
.. .. .. ..

My first thought was that the video card was either shot, or needed to have new drivers. But as I kept trying things and kept restarting, it became increasingly hard to get back in to the PC. Finally the computer totally rejected any attempt for access. So, being in the need for a format anyway, I backed up some music and pictures and headed out for the reformat. Oddly enough, after the format, the windows installation screens also had the dots. I finally install a fresh version of windows and get to the desktop...More dots. I try to change the display settings and they are stuck at 640 x 480 and in 4bit color (with dots of course). I install the new nVidia drivers and still cannot change the display settings to get rid of the dots. I tried to gain access to the net by popping in my motherboard's driver disc. I get the following errors:

AUSUHWIO.DLL: Can't Execute Kernel Mode Driver Service
ASCDDMI.DLL: Can't Load ASUSHWIO.DLL
SUPPORT CD SETUP PROGRAM: Can't load ASCDDMI.DLL

Oh boy, now I cannot connect to the internet. I am totally lost, I build this PC and I assume the graphics driver is a goner, but don't really want to spend a few hundred bucks until I can confirm this somehow. Below is the setup I have for the PC:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5GHz
Mobo: ASUS P5K-E
GPU: nVidia GeForce 8800 GT (EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card)
HDD: Western Dig 500GB (WD500AACS)
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

Thanks in advance,
Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:13 AM

Video memory corruption is usually a sign of bad ram. Run memtest86 from www.memtest86.com. Download it and burn it to a disk. Check your system memory at least 3 times. If you see red, it's bad.

If it passes try another video card as your ram on the video card may be epic fail. If you're still having issues, it's the mainboard.

Edit: You might try reseating your video card and ram... just on the off chance you have a bad connection.

Edited by Gabrial, 27 September 2010 - 12:16 AM.

#3 GrymReaper

GrymReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:17 AM

1:15am here now, will download that and try the test tomorrow.....bad ram wouldn't be the worst thing to fix or the GPU......I really hope its not the MOBO.

Stay tuned.

#4 GrymReaper

GrymReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

Ran memtest about a 1/2 a dozen times...they all passed with 0 errors.

Went to bestbuy to buy a crappy GPU to test.....As I expected, it was the card. Will be returning that to grab a better one via newegg.

Thanks for your help!

#5 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:19 AM

Glad to be of help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users