Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No firewall, can not reach wireless LAN.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cheerio!

Cheerio!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:21 PM

Friends,

Yesterday I spent two hours on the phone with a dear friend who helped me to network both of my PC-compatible desktop computers.

Things went well this morning. Each computer could see the other's drives. Jolly. ;-)

Then I received a chance both to upgrade QuickTime Player and to install iTunes. Big mistake.

In retrospect, I wonder whether the Windows firewall was turned off so that we could network these machines. I simply can't remember what we did. That leaves SOME chance that the computer was hacked and that the invitation to upgrade QuickTime and to get iTunes was from a hacker.

Anyway, after the restart following those DLs and installations, the VISTA HOME PREMIUM machine could not connect to the LAN and thence to the Web.
So, I am using the other desktop -- also a 64-bit machine but running x64 Windows XP Professional Special Edition -- to write this.

Because the problem VISTA machine (an HP IQ505) is currently running Malwarebytes Full scan, after having had Spybot and Ad-Aware Full scans just done on it, I can not now recreate the exact messages I get when trying to bring up the firewall again. The gist of it is that the firewall has lost its settings, I am given the opportunity to bring it back manually, but that does not work either.

Even using the HP Advisor | PC Dashboard | Security | !Critical | Firewall Protection (Enable Firewall hotlink) does not work; the window displaying that hotlink simply blips a bit periodically after I click on "Enable Firewall".

The merry chase when I try to go online is this: I try to connect to a network and am met with the "Connect to a network" window that says "Windows cannot find any networks", though THIS computer is online. When I click on "View network computers and devices", the resulting Windows Explorer window locks on a screen shot of what is under it. At least I can X out of there. If I click on "Diagnose why Windows Can't find any networks", a "Windows Network Diagnostics" window tells me "The Windows Wireless Service is not running on this computer" and lets me click on "Start Windows Wireless Service". After trying to repair that, it tells me "Windows cannot resolve the problem. Please contact your network administrator or Internet service provider". Well I'm the administrator, and the isp is serving this other computer perfectly well.

I must also disclose that I tried a system restore following the problematic installation of the QuickTime upgrade and the iTunes app; but when that failed to fix the problems, I hoped to restore to an earlier restore point, perhaps yesterday's. But first I had to un-restore what did not fix the problems, at which point I was told that there are no other restore points! bleepingcomputers, indeed!

I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Cheerio! :thumbsup:

Edited by hamluis, 27 September 2010 - 01:09 PM.
Moved from Vista forum to Am I Protected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:20 AM

Go to Control Panel > Network & Sharing Center > Manage Network Connections.

1. Is there an entry for Local Area Connection? If not, you probably need to install drivers for your ethernet NIC. Or, enable the ethernet port in your system BIOS.

2. If Local Area Connection exists, what is its status?

And I use QT lite:
http://majorgeeks.com/QT_Lite_d5718.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users