Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to use various Malware-Removal Programs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sportsfroma2

sportsfroma2

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:02 PM

First, let me give you all at BleepingComputer major, major props. I appreciate all the work you all do an everyone should be very thankful to have such a great resource & community available. Can't thank you enough.

I don't know if my computer is infected with any type of malware, but based on the symptoms I believe it probably is.

Today I was playing around with my TV Tuner & Orb software (allows me to access my TV Tuner when traveling, similar to a slingbox), and while configuring the TV Tuner I downloaded a couple of driver versions and had to update and install different versions of Adobe Flash Player, VLC Video Player, and the TV Tuner Drivers from various sources and visit unknown websites to get info on some details of my cable service/ Tv Tuner and things like that.

Symptoms
(I have included screenshots help explian what's happening):
-Malwarebytes Free Version freezes on both Full & Quick Scans after a very short period of time- (usually on: “currently scanning: c\windows\system32\zipfldr.dll” )
Posted Image
-Microsoft Security Essentials Freezes freezes when scan the starts:
Posted Image
-SuperAntiSpyware's scanning interface never pops up (when I click "scan your computer" nothing happens)
Posted Image
-Spybot Search & Destroy does not start at all
-Unable to use VLC Video Player (The first 'problem' I noticed today)

Browsing Status:
-Normal Web-browsing in IE, Firefox (default browser), Chrome. No redirections or pop-ups noticed

Anti-Malware Programs:
-Primary Anti-Malware program is Microsoft Security Essentials, I have it configured to update and do a full scan daily. The Full scan usually takes 3-4 hours.
-Spybot Search & Destroy is also used, I believe It's been updated within the last week
-MBAM Free was update yesterday I believe. Has been used a few times just as a backup/on-demand scanner.
- After these problems started, I downloaded and installed SuperAntiSpyware. Have not been able to use it.

Computer Info:
Self-Built 1-2year Old Computer. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Intel Core2Duo E8400 proc, Nvidia8800gt Video, Various Hard Drives (I believeeee it's 1 500GB Sata, 1 300gb Sata, and 1 120GB IDE although there might be multiple partitions on the Sata Drives). All windows updates are installed (as of this morning I remember checking).

Safe Mode:
I was not able to run any of the 4 programs (MSE, mbam, spybot, super) in Safe mode

Please let me know what you think of my problem and how I should proceed.

Thank you so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sportsfroma2

sportsfroma2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:33 PM

I noticed the Microsoft Security Essentials animated system tray icon still moving so I thought I'd take a look-

So although when I initially started the scan nothing happened, I guess it's working a little bit at least
Posted Image

Interesting that the "Time Elapsed" is 27:11 when in reality I started the scan at 10:36 (so it should show around 53minutes).

The program appears to be frozen/stuck on this screen for now...

Not sure what to make of this, but I thought I should keep this updated.

Thanks again

#3 sportsfroma2

sportsfroma2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:11 AM

Any Ideas?

It's weird because everything else on the computer works fine, haven't noticed any slowdowns, nothing like that.. Just that a few programs seem to not work, especially the ones that aid in malware removal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users