Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot create topics in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs section of the forum.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Prosaic

Prosaic

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:58 PM

This is a bit of a weird problem. :S I've written a post and attached the attachments and everything, but every time I try to post it, I get sent straight to the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" page. I get the same problem when I try to preview the post. Any idea what's happening? D:

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't quite sure where to put this rather odd topic. :thumbsup:

Edited by Prosaic, 26 September 2010 - 11:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:29 PM

Hello Prosaic.

This could be malware interfering here. Let's try this. You will need a clean computer and a flash drive.

This applies to your clean computer.
Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Please use the flash drive to move the logs you generated by following the Prep Guide from the infected computer to the clean computer. Then, use the clean computer to create your topic.

Let me know if this does not work.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 Prosaic

Prosaic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:15 PM

(This is being posted from the infected PC.)

Apologies for this delayed response, I've been out all day. D:

The only clean computer to hand is an Acer Aspire 5740 laptop with Windows 7 64 bit as it's operating system.
I'm not very familiar with this laptop, and most of my information on it comes from me reading the box. :s

I downloaded Flash_Disinfector.exe to the clean laptop and attempted to run it, but after double clicking it on it and saying "Yes" to the security warnings, nothing happens.

I googled "flash_disinfector.exe for windows 7" and found this thread ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic294994.html ) which suggests that the problem is the 64 bit operating system.

So, anyway. My point is, this does not work.

Any thoughts? D:

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:57 PM

Hi Prosaic.

In this situation you may skip the Flash Disinfector step; the OS on the laptop already guards against malicious autorun files.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 Prosaic

Prosaic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:08 PM

Posting it from the clean laptop worked.
I would've been too scared to move any files off this infected PC to another without your guidance!
Thanks for your help :D

(Here's the topic in question btw http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic350239.html )

#6 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:39 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic350239.html you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

~Blade
Forum Moderator

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users