Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java and Netscape 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:58 PM

I use (and like) Netscape 7 as my default browser.

I had Sun Java JRE 1.4.0_01 installed and running fine under Netscape 7. Tech support at POGO suggested to my wife to upgrade to a later version of Java to addess an occassional 'freezing' problem on one of the POGO games.

So I uninstalled jre 1.4.0_01 and installed jre 1.4.2_05. The installation went just fine, but Netscape would no longer run any java apps.

I recall in the past that to get java to work in Netscape, I had to manually copy the NP*.dll files from the java folder to the Netscape plugin folder. I did that but it did not help. Netscape *does* have the java plugins listed when I do an about plugins from the menu.

When I try to enable 'Netscape 6 or later' from the Java control panel applet, I get an error that tells me that Netscape is not properly installed or I do not have permissions to make the change. That same error existed with the old 1.4.0_01 installation, and did not cause any problems. Netscape is installed in C:\Program Files\Netscape7\Netscape7 instead of the default C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape7.

Attempts to uninstall 1.4.2_05 and reinstall 1.4.0_01 fail because the installation routine finds 1.4.0_01 still installed and only offers to uninstall. OK'ing that and trying again only produces the same results.

System restore creates a situation where if I try to run a java applet in Netscape, Netscape just closes.

Support for Netscape 7 seems to be rather sparce. Pointers to any other possible source of Netscape 7 support would be appreciated.
Derfram
~~~~~~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 12 October 2004 - 09:30 AM

Have you considered installing Mozilla (as memory serves, Netscape 7 was based on it) or Firefox (the slimmer stand alone browser from Mozilla)? At least there is on-going support and development for Mozilla, unlike Netscape, which is no longer being worked on, and the two should be similar enough to make the transition relatively easy. I would then uninstall both JREs, install Mozilla, and then install JRE so that it is placed in the appropriate folder.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2004 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for the reply jgweed

I've tried Mozilla, and there are certain feature of Netscape 7 that it doesn't have. I'm sure I could get used to it but I'd rather not.

Anyway, after about 14 hours of fiddling, I managed to fix it. Netscape 7 and JRE 1.5.0 are now playing happily together.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2004 - 09:58 AM

ddeerrff,
How did you get it fixed?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2004 - 10:18 AM

I was afraid someone would ask....

As I mentioned in the first post, I had install and uninstalled, multiple times, different version of JRE with no success. Moved the NP*.dll files into the Netscape Plugin directory as suggested in a few places, added a user_pref, still no cigar.

So I took a new route. I cloned my HDD to preserve what I had. Then I installed the clone as the C:\ drive and left the original in (as F:\). Reinstalled Netscape 7 over the top of the original (on the clone) and java WORKED!.

To determine what part of the old installation was faulty (I wanted to fix the problem without loosing all my customization) I started moving various files/folders of the non-working installation into the working installation - expecting it to fail at some point. I got ALL of the non-working installation moved to the working installation and it was still working. So it wasn't any problem in the program files (C:\Program Files\Netscape7\Netscape7) nor was it a problem with any of the profiles (C:\.....Application data\Mozilla). Diagnosis -> errant registry entry or missing entry.

Returned the original HDD to the C:\ position and the cloned unit to the F:\ location. Reinstalled Netscape 7 over the top of the original installation on the original HDD. Replaced the (newly reinstalled) program and profile folders with the pre-customized copies now on the F:\ drive and there is joy in Mudville.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2004 - 11:18 AM

Thanks. I was just curious.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users