Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browse For Folder -- Missing Computer,and Libraries

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dr dark

Dr dark

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:12 PM

If anyone has ran into the problem before, I'd appreciate some help.
I've tried just about everything to resolve this issue.

The problem is when a program (any program) that uses the "Browse For Folder" Dialog, only the Desktop and the User folders show up in the list. What is missing and is very important is to be able to browse the computer.

This is what appears now:
Posted Image

Now if I login to a different windows 7 user profile that I just created for testing purposes, it shows up everything correctly.

This is how it is supposed to appear:
Posted Image

Does anyone know how to fix this issue, apparently it's a profile issue, and was caused by an installation of a program. I can't figure out which program caused this, as I have recently installed many programs. I also scanned the computer for spyware / malware / viruses with several typical programs, and all came back clean (super anti-spyware, malware bytes, drweb, and avast) ..

I played with the registry somewhat, since it appears to be a profile issue, but could not fix it. I can not restore to a previous state has the history snapshots dont' go back far enough, and creating and using a new profile would be a pain in the neck, and may occur again.

Regardless, I'd like to know how to fix this so that if it happens again I know how to resolve it.

I'd be very happy if someone out there has a solution..

Thanks..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:23 PM

My only recommendation would be this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...ed-user-profile

#3 Dr dark

Dr dark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:30 PM

I'd like to avoid doing this, everything else is fine, the profile doesn't seem to be corrupted, just some setting is causing the browse for folder dialog to now show everything. I'd like to know how to fix it without basically wiping out a profile. Hrumph.. Hoping someone experienced this issue before. :-/

My only recommendation would be this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...ed-user-profile

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:38 PM

I cant find much of anything else.

#5 Dr dark

Dr dark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:07 AM

I resolved the issue.

When you have too many icons on your desktop (yes, desktop), it will break browse for folder...

The way I figured this out was..

I created a new profile, everything worked fine, until I started moving all my data to the new profile (desktop icons, documents, etc.)... After spending an extended period of time doing this, I found that the issue came back.

So I decided to slowly wipeout the data I was putting back.

I removed all of "my documents", and the issue still existed. I then attempted to remove all of my desktop icons, and it appeared to have resolved the issue.

I started placing them back, and the issue re-appeared. I was convinced it was a particular folder or file on the desktop that was causing the problem, so I started removing them in groups, until it resolved my problem. I placed random groups back, and the problem came back.

My solution, I created folders for a few groups of my icons.

My desktop icons are very organized, across multiple monitors, and keep them at a small size, hence it doesn't look overwhelming or cluttered (not a messy desktop).. I was surprised that having too many desktop icons breaks "browse for folder”..

I had 252 icons; I reduced it to 197 icons to resolve the issue. I am not sure what the limit is, I am guessing 200??

I'd consider this to be a BUG in windows 7, and not a feature. Hopefully microsoft will resolve this issue in with an update..

I hope this helps anyone else who may run into this problem..

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:55 AM

Why not just delete icons you do not use, and keep the ones you use most often on your desktop. At most I have 10 Icons on my desktop that I use most frequently.

But thanks for posting the resolution.

Edited by cryptodan, 29 September 2010 - 07:55 AM.

#7 Dr dark

Dr dark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:18 PM

Everyone has there method of organization.. :-)

But obviously my methods bring out a windows 7 bug.. :-)

I'm an IT person and handle many issues at the same time, having fast and quick access to certain things is crusal for me, but I need to find a method that doesn't break windows.

A minor bug, but annoying..

Thanks for trying to help. :-) I've ran into your forums many times when learning about different malware/spyware/virus issues.. :-)

Why not just delete icons you do not use, and keep the ones you use most often on your desktop. At most I have 10 Icons on my desktop that I use most frequently.

But thanks for posting the resolution.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:21 PM

I am also a fellow IT Person that handle many issues at once as well. Give my idea a shot on another account and see how it works for you.

Posted Image

1) No Desktop Icons visible on Desktop

2) No Quick Launch Bar

3) Desktop Taskbar is enabled and locked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users