Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Password

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 junebday59

junebday59

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 06:24 AM

Please help.....I have lost access to the password option while starting my computer. Normally, when I push the start button to start the computer, the password prompt comes up. But now it bypasses it and starts Windows 98. I tried to put in another password by pressing the F10 button on the keyboard. This gets me into the security tab/ password create, but when I go to enter a password the cursor will not accept any new numbers. I did have a password before and it will not recognise it. And I cant seem to create a new one.

Now what I did. ...... I have replaced the computer but swapped over the hard drive. I had a lightning strike that recked my other power supply and motherboard. However, I had an exact identical computer as spare so I just put the old hard drive in this box. Everything works fine except for this password issue.

Please help. Kids are getting into stuff they shouldn't. Regards Mh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:25 PM

Since you changed the motherboard you have to re-do the password in the Bios Setup. Look for the key to press to get into the Bios. It will be on the first screen to show and at the bottom. It could be either the Del or the F2 key or if your system is a brand name, it could be another key.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:33 PM

IsMe is right. You have to enter the BIOS and set the global password. This is not a password for windows, but the computers hardware password. Anytime you loose complete power the password is erased. The motherboad change is why you don't have the password any longer.
You described F10 which is how you enter the BIOS on some computers.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 junebday59

junebday59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:50 AM

IsMe is right. You have to enter the BIOS and set the global password. This is not a password for windows, but the computers hardware password. Anytime you loose complete power the password is erased. The motherboad change is why you don't have the password any longer.

Thanks gugs....So how do I get access to this global password. Where is this password.

#5 junebday59

junebday59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:06 AM

Thanks guys...So how do I get access to this global password. Where is this password.

I dont know how to get into the BIOS. What key on the keyboard do I select as I am afraid I may push something I will regret.

When I push the F 10 key while starting, theset up menue appears but nothing mentioned about BIOS.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:15 AM

Its difficult to say since it varies from PC to PC but usually you press the DEL key, when booting, to get into the BIOS. Your PC manual will tell you for sure, or the manufacturers website.

In the BIOS, once again, I cannot say for sure because different BIOS's have different options. There should be some entry like 'Boot password' or 'Startup Password' or 'Security Password'. Once again the manual for your motherboard will give you the information.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users