Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SFC and Repair Fail

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sgol

sgol

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:29 AM

I've been having regular problems at home with my Windows XP-Home (SP-3) installation. My hunch is that I got myself into this via too much over-tweaking over the years.

Basically, Windows has become increasingly unstable and unreliable. One of the more prominent issues involves failures with Fast User switching, which I know can be problematic, but is currently necessary in my home environment). I have tried using the System File Checker application (SFC) numerous times. Unfortunately, this fails, as it cannot locate many of the files needed to do its job. I continually get the message sometimes asking for the original XP CD, and other times asking for the XP SP-3 CD. Whether I try the original installation CD or the SP-3 disk that I created (via slipstream process) SFC does not recognize either as correct. I've tried numerous other workarounds, including copying the I386 folder to the C:\ drive - while telling the registry (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Setup and also HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\WinLogon\) to look there for the files, verifying the registry is looking the correct place for service pack files, etc.

I have also twice tried doing a repair installation from the XP SP-3 disk. It also cannot locate the dozens of the appropriate files on the disk, even if I browse, find, and select them. It seems to me that something in the Windows File Protection system, or some third-party installation is blocking these recovery efforts.

Another item of note, I ran Magic Jelly Beans, which extracts and allows you to print out all of your software keys. The last 4 digits of the Product ID for Win XP SP-3 in my registry (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Setup\) differs from the number extracted by Magic Jelly beans.

To rule out virus or spyware issues, I have run MS Security Essentials as an Administrator, from safe mode, which found and cleaned a few items. Unfortunately, the original problem still persists.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:13 AM

<<...I ran Magic Jelly Beans, which extracts and allows you to print out all of your software keys. The last 4 digits of the Product ID for Win XP SP-3 in my registry (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Setup\) differs from the number extracted by Magic Jelly beans.>>

Well...I don't believe they should match, I've never looked in the registry for a license key. I suspect that the data entered there is encrypted or transformed in some way from the actual key.

I haven't used Magic Jelly Beans in some years, so I can't vouch for its accuracy...but I know that using SIW, http://www.gtopala.com/, yields the actual license key, reflected under the Licenses category.

<<To rule out virus or spyware issues, I have run MS Security Essentials as an Administrator, from safe mode, which found and cleaned a few items. Unfortunately, the original problem still persists.>>

Well...IMO, there is no one application which adequately protects a system. I speak as a simple user, not as an authority of any sort. Basic system defenses begin with a firewall, supplemented by installation of critical updates...installation and maintenance of a one reliable AV program...and (IMO) two reliable antispyware/antimalware programs. Of course, the biggest weakness in trying to protect the system...lies with the user, so I don't really see how anyone can place such reliance on any given program.

As for your system issues...have you tried a clean install of XP? It's amazingly good at allowing users (who want to) to pinpoint the probable cause of their woes, by virtue of eliminating the O/S from contention. By extension, malware is somewhat eliminated also, at that time. That leaves hardware items as possible culprits for continuing problems...not necessarily easy to troubleshoot, but can be done if approached in systematical fashion.

You also mention another variable...the media used for installing/repairing XP. If the media is not properly made (it can be tested on a different system for functionality) or has some inherent or transient defect (e.g., scratches, dirt, smudges), then the files may fail to be properly read and installed on the hard drive.

And...recovery/restore CDs were not put together by OEM system manufacturers...so that they could be used for reinstall/repair purposes...unless the OEM so states such in the directions for use of such. A MS Genuine XP CD is my weapon of choice, updated via slipstreaming and tested before I need it.

Since you haven't revealed what system model you have...I might as well add the fact that SP3 installation on certain systems...must be done following the path defined by the OEM. HP comes to mind, but I'm sure there are more.

Sorry...I know of no easy answers to your dilemma, but I know where I would suggest starting.

We have a lot members...maybe one of them can suggest something more palatable.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users