Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no sound

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 libbylibbylibby

libbylibbylibby

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:41 AM

I have a second-hand Toshiba Satellite Laptop. Every time I try to use Windows Media Player, it tries to access a network which has been removed by the previous owner. I can't get any sound of any kind.

Very frustrated, any help welcome. PLEASE if you write, could you use full sentences, sometimes I can't understand what people are trying to tell me.
Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 26 September 2010 - 12:02 PM.
Moved from XP by someone while I was replying...to Audio/Video, closed by me for reason cited ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:47 AM

What version of WMP is installed?

System model? There are many Satellite models.

Are you saying that you have no sound at all on the system...or only when trying to use WMP?

Louis

#3 libbylibbylibby

libbylibbylibby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:30 AM

There are no sounds whatsoever.

It was WMP 11.

The Toshiba Satellite has this number on the bottom, next to "Satellite" : A26-S279.

Since it keeps trying to get onto this mystery network that the previous owner used, I decided to just try to override WMP by downloading RealPlayer, hoping I could make it my default sound device. But no dice - I removed WMP, put in RealPlayer and even went into "Set Program Access and Defaults" and made Realplayer my default. But it just keeps going back to making WMP the default.

Thanks for your help and clarity. Any thoughts?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

Hmmm...the Toshibe website doesn't list an A26-S279 model...but it lists an A25-S279, Specs A25-S279..

I don't know what to make of that, especially in light of the fact that there are various websites (other than Toshiba) offering driver downloads for A26 models.

Do you have the CDs which came with your system? Did such include a CD labeled as containing drivers?

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Do you see any yellow marks by anything? If so, please list each item with such.

The default program for opening any type of file (.mp3, .wav., etc.) can be changed by changing the file associations from Explorer view of My Computer.

How to change file associations in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...p;product=winxp

Louis

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:57 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic348616.html

The above reflects an open thread in the Am I Infected forum, which I was unaware of.

That probably needs to be resolved to a conclusion...before moving on to the situations you have outlined in this thread.

On that basis, I am closing this thread.

Once your malware situation is clarified...then we can look at whatever issues you may have on the system. You can send me a PM and I will reopen this thread at that time.

This thread is now closed, good luck :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users