Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking about Computer Science Major

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Memimi

Memimi

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:15 AM

Any one else going to school for this or already finished with it? I have a few more quarters of Community College for my transfer degree before I transfer to a University and I'll need a major picked. I've always been really interested in computers though the only type of coding I've taken the time to learn thus far is html, but I learned most of that through online tutorials so I'm good at teaching myself.

I'm wondering what kinds of things I'll learn there, like what math classes Ill be expected to take and what programming languages I'll learn. Is there anything I should try and learn before I go into the program? What kind of jobs and job market are there with this kind of degree? Seems like a forum like this would have at least a few people that went through this course of study, hopefully someone here can help answer my questions. =D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CStew23

CStew23

• Members
  • 1,484 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

I finished with a degree in CIS. That's the more marketable major IMO unless you're going into something that needs a ton of math background. Usually with a Comp Sci major you'll be required to take Calc 1 2 3 and 4. Probably, depending on the program you'll have lot of programming courses or none at all. Have you looked at the degree requirements for the Uni you're transferring to?
Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!
If you have not heard from me in 48 hours please use this and send me a PM reminder.

#3 Memimi

Memimi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:23 PM

I've looked at them for a lot of universities, I haven't decided which to transfer to yet. I noticed they differ a lot but most have classes simply named "Comp Sci" so I'm not exactly sure what kind of stuff will be covered in those, since most don't list specific programming classes I'm assuming the programming comes from those classes. CIS? What is that exactly? And I do have a very strong math background so I'm not sure that'll be too much of an issue for me.

#4 CStew23

CStew23

• Members
  • 1,484 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:34 PM

Hi,

Usually Computer Science 1 2 and 3 or any variant on that is the foundations of computer science. History of it, who the big players were, what the ancient tech was like and how it has evolved into that which we use today.

Programming might be covered. Do you have examples of places? That might give us a better idea about what the courses are.

CIS is Computer Information Systems. Basically it's Computer Science but practically applied. I learned programming, data structures, networking, the foundations of everything you'd use in an Information Technology related job role. Some programs that have CIS or CS degrees will offer tracks. Like the Networking track or the Programming track. Where you're still learning the core of the program but as you get into the higher level courses you're taking more networking related things or more programming related things. It's usually for those people that know what they want to do and want to have a good background in it when they get out.

Another great thing to look for is Certification courses. Such as for CCNA. Certain Uni's will offer a 4 part course (usually) which teaches you the fundamentals needed for a certification while getting your degree. You still have to sit for and pass the certification test but it beats reading it out of a book and studying on your own and is usually included in tuition.
Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!
If you have not heard from me in 48 hours please use this and send me a PM reminder.

#5 Memimi

Memimi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:49 AM

CIS does sound a bit more what I would like, thanks. Maybe I'll see if it is offered anywhere around... basically looking at any university in Washington or University of Idaho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users