Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New motherboard and processor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 IanGR

IanGR

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:12 AM

:huh: Hi, a quick question if I may.
I'm thinking of up grading my motherboard and processor, currently running a Gigabyte G33M-S2 and intel core2 E6750 @ 2.66GHz. 4GB ram Vista home premium SP2.
3 years old now but with the new crop of games recently out and coming soon requiring quad core processors it seems like a upgrade to i5/i7 processor and surrounding bits would be a good move.
Question is can I install my currant OS "Vista" have the disc and key? or with it being OEM will I have to splash out the extra 100ish for a new OS.. :huh:

Thanks Ian..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:17 PM

The answer...you really won't know until you try it.

Technically...MS considers a change of motherboard alone as a change of systems. That would make the textbook answer depend on the type of license you have for Vista.

If the license came with a system assembled by one of the OEMs...or is a MS System Builder/OEM license...technically, MS has the right to tell you that such license is not transferable.

If it's a retail license where you bought/installed Vista on the system...you could move it with no problem.

In reality...you won't know until you try. I know for a fact that many XP users in similar situations...have made the changes mentioned (and more) and had no problem with PA after the changes.

Vista is a tad more recent than XP...and the rules being applied may be a bit different...hence my answer.

Louis

#3 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:38 AM

I have bought my Vista Ultimate os, I have moved it sereral times.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:45 PM

Your machine is quite fine for gaming. I would leave it as is until Intel drops their processors of the earlier I7's and upgrade then.

The most important thing, is what kind of video card do you have?

#5 IanGR

IanGR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:27 AM

Your machine is quite fine for gaming. I would leave it as is until Intel drops their processors of the earlier I7's and upgrade then.

:huh: Hi again and thanks for the replies.. I'm running a GTX260 at the moment but it does seem that the duel core cpu is holding it back a tad.. I did a "can you run it " test the other day for Civ,5 and it failed because it requires a quad core as do some others like BFBC2 think it will be the same for the new MOH and COD BOs..
Thinking of maybe just putting a quad core in what I've got but that seems a little bit daft at least should be able to keep the same OS though.
Guess I'll just hang back give 'em go and take it from there.. :huh:
Thanks again..
Ian..

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

:huh: Hi again and thanks for the replies.. I'm running a GTX260 at the moment but it does seem that the duel core cpu is holding it back a tad.. I did a "can you run it " test the other day for Civ,5 and it failed because it requires a quad core as do some others like BFBC2 think it will be the same for the new MOH and COD BOs..
Thinking of maybe just putting a quad core in what I've got but that seems a little bit daft at least should be able to keep the same OS though.
Guess I'll just hang back give 'em go and take it from there.. :huh:
Thanks again..
Ian..

Yeah just find a compatible quad core for your motherboard and you will be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users