Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

booting off wrong drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lnepoe888

lnepoe888

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:48 AM

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Thank you for any help in advance.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:09 AM

Right click on Computer> Properties> Advanced setup settings> Settings button under Startup and Recovery.

Under Startup and Recovery you will find Default operating system: Click on this and choose the operating system you want.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 lnepoe888

lnepoe888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:47 AM

There is only one entry. Which drive does it correspond to? I basically want to avoid using the 160GB drive to boot as none of the other folders (like the Windows folder, etc) are on it. Just the boot folder, and the bootmgr file.

Any way to repair it in such a way where it will re-detect the install on the 1.5TB drive and have the BIOS boot to that one?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:19 AM

Ok... I was a little blurry eyed last night and missed this. You can't have the MBR on a separate hdd from the one that contains the installed operating system. Something isn't right here.

Unplug the 160GB hdd and see what happens when you boot.

What I thought you were talking about was that you had two hdd which have different operating systems on them. This is why I suggested the method that I did.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users