Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connect laptop to desktop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jose_007

jose_007

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:50 AM

Sir,
my problem has 2 parts
1)I want to connect my laptop(win7) with my desktop(XP) to transfer files of size around 20-30GB....My laptop connects to bsnl modem using wifi and desktop is connected using ethernet......

How to do it ???

2)I want to play games in multiplayer mode with my cousin using laptop and desktop....is it possible ...plz explain the steps

thanks
Jose

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:58 PM

The best way I have found to transfer files like that is over ethernet from laptop to desktop. People say you need a crossover cable but you don't.

plug the ethernet in the laptop (computer B ) and the desktop (computer A).

Go on computer A and go to network connections and change the ip of the ethernet card to something like this:

IP: 10.0.0.1
subnet: 255.255.255.0

And do the same thing on computer B's settings but give it another ip and make the default gateway the ip of computer A:

IP: 10.0.0.2
subnet: 255.255.255.0
default gateway:10.0.0.1
DNS: 10.0.0.1

Then, go on to comuter A and right click the folder you want to transfer and go to properties, sharing, and share it.

On computer B, go into explorer and in the address bar put in the ip of computer a with this behind it // so for this example it would be //10.0.0.1

It will ask for the name and password of computer A and you put it in and then you are looking inside that folder on compuiter A. Copy everything you want and paste it on computer B.

If your laptops ethernet card is the same speed as mine 20-30gb is a 20-25 minute wait. Hope it works for you.

Edited by thrillhouse, 26 September 2010 - 06:59 PM.

#3 jose_007

jose_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:14 AM

sorry but this didnt work...On typing the address in explorer bar as u said ,nothing happened...

Please suggest other alternatives ...

Can this work by setting up a workgroup or something like that ?

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:32 AM

oh yea, I forgot, make sure both computers are on the same workgroup by right clicking my computer and go to properties and workgroup should be named the same on both computers

#5 jose_007

jose_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:09 AM

how to do that ??

#6 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:08 PM

I don't know how to say any clearly than the previous post. Here it is again, in a list.
  • Right click my computer
  • Click properties
  • change workgroup name to the same workgroup as the other computer
good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users