Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UBCD4WIN for Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bud_in_missouri

bud_in_missouri

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:15 PM

I am slowly working my way through the tutorial How to Backup and Restore your hard drive with DriveImage XML.

When I get to the part about how to build Ultimate Boot CD for Windows it isn't clear whether this will even work for Windows 7.
Can anyone help point out what I should do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:22 PM

Which version are you using?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bud_in_missouri

bud_in_missouri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:48 AM

My system information:

Windows 7 Home Premium
HP p6210f
AMD Athlon II
X4 620 Processor 2.60 GHz
RAM: 6.00 GB
64-bit Operating System

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:21 AM

Sorry, what version of Image Drive?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 bud_in_missouri

bud_in_missouri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:38 AM

I downloaded the DIXML file from the link in the tutorial. Can't remember whether it updated after I installed it or not.

Version 2.14
Vista (Build 7600)

Thanks,
Bud

#6 bud_in_missouri

bud_in_missouri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:50 AM

I used the DriveImage XML to create drive images last night.

My hard drive is partitioned into 2 partitions.
1. C: This is the main drive and shows 584 GB total capacity. It seemed to create an image file o.k. which is about 113 GB on the USB drive where I stored the backup file.
2. D: This is a 12 GB partition labeled FACTORY IMAGE and created an image file of about 10 GB. DriveImage at first complained about not being able to create a shadow but went ahead and created a backup file after I cleared the warning box. I'm seriously in doubt of the likelihood that this image file will be worth anything; probably don't need it much anyway since it is some kind of an HP recovery image?

#7 bud_in_missouri

bud_in_missouri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

After untold hours of trying all that I know to try I conclude that it just isn't possible to make the necessary boot CD that would be required to work with the backed up DriveImage XML image files in case of a hard drive failure on my Windows 7 computer. I even tried to build a boot CD with an old Windows XP Professional original OEM disk that I have and it failed also; said that it was the wrong version of XP. I've uninstalled/deleted everything that I installed for the DriveImage XML project and will try to go some other route.

#8 bud_in_missouri

bud_in_missouri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:04 PM

I found a really good, free download program that works well with Windows 7 (either 32-bit or 64-bit).
It is called EASEUS Todo Backup 1.1 and can be downloaded from CNET (as I did) or directly from http://www.todo-backup.com/ .
I made an image backup of my entire C: drive and then performed a check on the backed up file and everything went smoothly.
I was able to make a self-booting CD with the program in about 5 minutes. I then booted my computer from the CD and it came up flawlessly with the EASEUS program ready to restore from the backed up image to the internal hard drive.
I haven't gotten the nerve to actually restore from the backup to my hard drive but assume (hope?) that it would work o.k.
I am going to consider this topic closed from my point of view unless someone decides to ask a question.

Edited by bud_in_missouri, 29 September 2010 - 09:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users