There is another admin account where I can go in and make changes, but nothing I have done restores the Owner. I must be missing something obvious -which is expected, since I'm a beginner at this. I hope so, since then it might still be an easy fix
Owner is definitely in the Administrators group. System restore didn't fix it. I've gone through the file system, setting permissions as they are on my other XP computer, but it didn't fix it. I don't want to use the Security Configuration and Analysis tool to restore everything according to a standard template if I can avoid it (since the templates are different from how I want it), but I've used this tool to do an analysis, and then went through making corrections to everything that was highlighted except the registry (so I went all through the Policies, Restricted Groups, System Services, and File System entries displayed in the results of the Analysis). At the same time I added permissions for Owner (full control) to many of those highlighted entries. Didn't fix it.
I do have a backup image of the hard drive I can revert to, but that is from several days ago, and I have done EXTENSIVE rearranging of files and installed some new programs since then, so I want to avoid going back to that if I possibly can. (The thing is, I have moved files around between 3 different computers, so I'd have to probably restore all 3 computers and then do all the re-arranging and installing all over again.) But I can if I have to.
(It all started because I was trying to figure out why another computer in the workgroup could see files on this computer for which they did not have permission- still haven't figured that one out.)
Edited by rtxx, 25 September 2010 - 07:54 PM.