Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How long should it take checkdisk to finish?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kimr

kimr

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

Yesterday I noticed a pop up message above the sys tray - something about a write error to my E drive. I was puzzled because I was not using the computer at all. My E drive is a separate 500 gig slave drive to hold all my photos.

Later in the day my E drive disappeared. After I rebooted a couple times it reappeared in My Computer. Finally it blue screened.

I guessed it was the hard drive so started checkdisk. It has been 15 hours and is about 1/4 done. Should I quit and try a diagnostic program instead?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:44 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Seriously speaking, I have a 500 GB PATA hard drive and it has taken as long as 12 hours to run chkdsk.

I do not know if your drive is SATA or PATA, but PATA is a tad bit slower than SATA in speed.

You did not post as of yet, the total time it has taken or if it has frozed up at 25% done.

Can you provide more details on this matter.

If you need to run a disk utility to detect drive errors, you will need to provide us with the hard drives manufacturer name and model number and that information will be provided.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 kimr

kimr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:35 AM

It's SATA. I don't remember the manufacturer and don't want to stop chkdsk to look unless you think a diagnostic program would be a better use of time. It's been over 24 hours now and it's about 55% completed. I'm pretty sure it has not frozen up.

Thanks for your attention!!

Edited by hamluis, 03 October 2010 - 11:31 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote ~ Hamluis.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:46 PM

It would help if you ran a disk defrag on this drive if you haven't already.

I will not be able to offer you the proper hard disk checking utility without knowing if your hard drive is a Sea Gate/Maxtor or Western Digital hard drive.

There are other hard drive brands, but I mentioned above the two most common brands above.

If you can open the computer case and get the brand name off of the drive, this would be helpful.

If you are afraid of opening the computer I can offer a program to which you can download and it will display your hard drive brand and model number.

The program is called Speccy, download it from pirform.com and do not install the ASK toolbar offered during the installation, just remove the check mark next to install the ASK tool bar.

Here is the link.

SPECCY http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Install Speccy and run the program, look for hard drives in the list. Or click the link in Speccy on the left side of the window, this will display the hard drives manufacturer and model number.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 kimr

kimr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:04 PM

Well, it took two full days for chkdsk to finish and it did not give me any kind of report. It's a WD drive so I ran their utility and it failed both quick and long tests. I opened the case and checked all the cable connections and think they are all good.

Here's a new twist. I have a 500 gig external USB drive on which I also keep the same copies of photos for redundancy. I have started to get the same I/O errors about that drive. They are both relatively new drives. I am beginning to think my motherboard is starting to poop out.

Is there a simple utility to check the state of the motherboard? My computer is a 4 year old AcerPower FH.

Edited by hamluis, 03 October 2010 - 11:30 AM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:16 PM

Is there a simple utility to check the state of the motherboard? My computer is a 4 year old AcerPower FH.

I want to check a few programs for viruses/malware and useability before I offer them to you.

So hang in there.

Bruce.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

I can not find any tools out there that I would trust to be safe.

There are a few at CNet but they are mostly shareware.

I found something, but it is NOT free. Here is the link. http://www.pc-diagnostics.com/pc_diagnosti...ols/index.shtml

Purhaps someone else may have a utility that is a FREE program that works. You have to be careful though FREE does not always mean the program is correct with its diagnosis.

Also here is a more expensive tool kit that has disks and hardware to perform various tests on a motherboard.

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/pc_doctor_se...r_6/index.shtml

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help, but I can not offer you risky beta ware or risky shareware.

Bruce.

#8 kimr

kimr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:41 PM

If there's a possiblity it's a virus or malware I could format and reinstall my OS. I do that a couple times a year anyway, to be safe. I just did it a couple months ago, though and my antivirus and malwarebytes don't find anything.

Edited by hamluis, 03 October 2010 - 11:32 AM.

#9 dancemat

dancemat

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:42 AM

It's a WD drive so I ran their utility and it failed both quick and long tests. I opened the case and checked all the cable connections and think they are all good.

Hello,

Have you tried changing the SATA cable?

If the drive is appearing and disappearing it could be several things. The SATA Port, Cable or HDD Electronics. It would be beneficial to take the HDD out and try it in another machine.

Do you know if the HDD is staying powered on constantly?

From all that you have described though, sounds like the HDD is giving up the ghost. Have you tried to copy data from the drive onto another one?

Once you've done that, I would run HDTune Free

Install it, select the drive from the drop down menu, in your case there should be two.

Have a look at the health, and report that back to us. A screenshot would be most helpful.

Then on the error scan, run a full test. DO NOT RUN a quick scan. As that will miss damaged areas.

If the HDD is fine, you will see all green squares. Red, and you have bad sectors. The seriousness of that, will depend on how many. Please screenshot that too.

Hope that gives you some options. Once we've got an idea of the health of the HDD, then we can start to look further. :thumbsup:

Edited by dancemat, 03 October 2010 - 05:50 AM.

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

#10 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:14 AM

If there's a possiblity it's a virus or malware I could format and reinstall my OS. I do that a couple times a year anyway, to be safe. I just did it a couple months ago, though and my antivirus and malwarebytes don't find anything.

You shouldn't need to do that. It's honestly not normal at all. Just stay away from pirated software, use an alternative web browser like Opera (see signature below) and have good security software like Microsoft Security Essentials. I have had the same Windows 7 install since it came out last year. Malware has came along from browsing the web but MSE has caught it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users