Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension 8400 - HELP!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nwsparky09

nwsparky09

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:33 PM

PC:- Dell Dimension 8400 - problem HDD failure

After swapping over the existing HDD for a replacement.
Insert your operating system SETUP diskette in drive A
Odd thing is this computer never came with such a diskette and is not supposed to have a "floppy drive" as this option was not included. However on closer inspection the pc does have a floppy drive installed. Now for the problem the only disc I do have is the xp reinstall disc which is on a CD/ROM. It does not have the original drivers etc which are available from DELL support online. Now my first thought were that if I went into the system setup I could disable the Floppy drive and it would ask me for an alternative drive to boot from. This option is not available as it appears the Bios default is to boot from a floppy. OK so the next step was to think about updating the bios to see if it will give me the option to boot from the CD/ROM drive.
OK I know about the F12 boot option and it will allow the cd/rom to start to install the software, however as soon as it asks you if you want to install xp it comes up with Setupdid not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer. The hdd has been installed and is powered up, I have checked this in the system setup utility and it detects the HDD no problem but not when installing windows XP..so does the bios need updating? or do I need to load the system diskette or both?

This is where I need your help.. I know how to update the bios but where do I get a sytem dikette from besides getting ripped off by DELL..who apper to have already broken UK and European laws by asking me for a diskette when they sold a pc which should not of had a Floppy drive installed and therefor should in this instance be able to reboot from a CD/ROM!

As you can probably tell I DONT LIKE DELL but if I could simply load that disc then that computer should work..but I cant if it wont give me that option..and it should. and why does it not recognise the HDD when loading XP when the system utility has?

HELP!

Edited by nwsparky09, 25 September 2010 - 06:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:13 PM

In the BIOS, the first device traditionally was a floppy disk drive. However, the BIOS does have the option to change the boot order to allow the DVD/CD-ROM to be the first device in the boot order. This is what you need to change if you want to boot from a Windows installation CD.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users