Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

e-mail problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Murrar

Murrar

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

I have Windows XP on my computer. When I go to Tools/Internet Options/Programs, I have a choice of Eudora, Outlook Express, and Windows Live. I donít use any of these e-mail servers. How can I get my e-mail serverís domain name on this list? My e-mail serverís domain name is my cable modem providerís domain name. Thank you very much. Murrar

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:13 PM

Those are not email servers. They are programs-email clients-which can be configured to work with your ISP mail server.

Outlook Express is included with XP.

Eudora and Windows Live Mail are 3rd party programs which must be downloaded and installed on your system.

They won't do anything until you set it up to work with your ISP mail
. After it's set up, when opened mail is downloaded from the mail server into the client, where they are stored on your computer.

If you use web based mail, you cannot add it to the list, which is for clients, not a web page.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 September 2010 - 06:29 PM.

#3 Murrar

Murrar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:46 PM

To Queen-Evie: Thank you for your response. Please tell me specifically how to get it set up to be on the list. Thank you very much. Murrar

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

First you need to decide WHICH of the programs you want to set up. You only need to choose one of them.

After that, you will need your ISP's server settings. If the ISP has help and support pages, check to see if they have instructions on how to set the client up. Server names are ISP specific, so no one here can truly assist you with things like server names.

I will tell you that the majority of ISP's will have instructions on how to set up Outlook Express. Some will have instructions for other clients.
If you do choose to go with Outlook Express and cannot find information on how to set it up, call your ISP and ask that someone walk you through setting it up.

OR you can post who your ISP is and someone here can help you or point you in the right direction. If you choose to post your ISP, we don't need anything other than WHO it is. (Comcast, Charter, AT&T, etc).

One thing you need to be aware of: when mail is downloaded into the client, it will disappear from the mail server. This means it will NOT be available in your web based mail. You can configure the client to leave a copy of messages on the server. If you have a cell phone set up to receive email, you should leave a copy on the server.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 September 2010 - 07:41 PM.

#5 Murrar

Murrar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

To Queen-Evie again: My ISP is Time-Warner Cable. Murrar

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:25 AM

Start here: Road Runner Help & Member Services - Customer Support

Make your choices, click APPLY

When the results are shown, under Support click on Email.

Choose E-mail Server Addresses.

Open up Outlook Express. You should get the set up wizard.

Fill out everything in the wizard. When it comes to entering your password, use the same one you use when you sign in to web mail.

Use the server names you found when asked for incoming and outgoing servers.

When set up is complete, send a test message to your self to make sure you can send and receive.

If you have any problems, go back to the page where you found your server settings, Click on View all Mail FAQ's. Look for Outlook Express 5.x, 6.x - Win - Setup. Click on it. Follow the steps listed, carefully check the settings you entered against those listed.

#7 Murrar

Murrar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:29 AM

I have Windows XP on my computer. I have never used or set up Outlook Express. Can anyone tell me how to set up an Outlook Express, and the easiest way to use Outlook Express for sending simple messages? Thank you very much. Murrar

#8 TonyKlein

TonyKlein

• Malware Response Team
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:10 AM

Your ISP's website will likely have all the information you need to configure OE, but here are a few good tutorials

How to Set Up Outlook Express

Set up a new email account in Outlook Express

Outlook Express: Compose and Send E-Mail Messages

#9 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:15 AM

Murrar,

If you contact you service provider they will talk you through it on the phone. If you have MS Office set it up in Outlook the e-mail portion of Office a much better program where you can type in Word send to Outlook and then send it on it's way. Each service provider has security set up differently and they will get you through all the options.

Dan

Edited by danjmilos, 26 September 2010 - 06:17 AM.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:08 AM

edit to remove reference and link to "other topic" since this was originally posted in the topic which was merged into this one.

Please keep all discussion of one issue in one topic. Multiple topics about the same problem makes it confusing for those of us who are helping you. Someone replying here would not know that the same or similar answers have been provided elsewhere.

There is really no need to have to say the same thing in more than one topic.

In addition, one topic may have something that will conflict with what's offered elsewhere. Keeping it in one place will allow us to hopefully see that what we may want to offer will conflict with something already mentioned. We are trying to help, not make things worse.

Jumping back and forth to different threads actually hinders the help process.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 September 2010 - 07:09 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:56 AM

Have merged both threads referenced, same subject matter.

As previously pointed out...creating multiple posts or threads about the same topic...merely hinders the assistance process. Please pursue your topic to conclusion in this thread, allowing all pertinent information to be consolidated to the benefit of all.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users