Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown virus, cannot get past blue screen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 copperton

copperton

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:03 PM

This morning my computer had a blue screen on it with "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down...."

I rebooted and got a chkdisk type message which stated "The volume is dirty". I made note of a few files it was deleting as it ran: malwarec.sbi, pupsc.sbi, and spybotsc.sbi

Rebooting in safe mode, spybot and malwarebytes would not open. I tried to get onto the internet but it won't connect - I am not sure if that's because I'm in safe mode or a problem caused by the virus. I am currently working from a laptop so my wireless internet connection is not the problem.

Attempting to start the computer in normal mode once more, I got a similar "A problem has been detected" blue screen message with KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

I am not sure how to go about finding out what virus I have and am hoping someone can help me. Thanks.

Edited by boopme, 25 September 2010 - 07:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

Hello, I don't think it's malware. What is the Operating system?? I will move this ince I know that.

Chkdsk volume is dirty

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/794318-...lume-dirty.html

Go to a Command Prompt and type:

CHKNTFS /X C:

That'll disable and clear the dirty bit.

Then run:

CHKDSK /R

Which will require a reboot and will take a long time to scan but will also scan for bad sectors on the drive.

Then back at the command prompt re-enable the normal CHKDSK behavior by typing:

CHKNTFS /D

You may also want to run the manufacturer's diagnostics on the drive to make sure its not failing.

CHKNTFS info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/160963
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 copperton

copperton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:51 PM

Thank you for your help. The response I get when typing in CHKNTFS /X C: is:

The type of the file system is NTFS.

When typing in chkdsk/r it says the same thing, then "cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Woule you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next rime the system restarts? <Y/N>"

I am running Windows XP, I think IE 8.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

OK, I will move this to XP...
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 copperton

copperton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:21 PM

Okay, I see the thread has been moved. Do you stay with me or does someone else need to help me now?

#6 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

Thank you for your help. The response I get when typing in CHKNTFS /X C: is:

The type of the file system is NTFS.

When typing in chkdsk/r it says the same thing, then "cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Woule you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next rime the system restarts? <Y/N>"

I am running Windows XP, I think IE 8.

type the chkdsk command again, hit Y in the command prompt window, then reboot and try to boot into normal mode.

#7 copperton

copperton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:06 PM

Looks like it ran ckdsk real fast and I saw "system is clean" before it went into another blue screen. Under Technical Information, it reads:

wink32k.sys - address bf9282bf base at bf800000, datestamp 4c220f9a

#8 copperton

copperton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:19 PM

I stepped away from the computer and it now is running ckdsk again. Seems to be going through the whole process this time. Will post results when it's finished.

#9 copperton

copperton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:07 AM

It finished and gave me another "A problem has been detected" blue screen. Under technical information it says:

***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF92829A, 0xBA2A7B50, 0x00000000)

*** win32k.sys - Address BF92829A base at BF800000

I could not get the last numbers as it tried to reboot again before I could copy them down. It now appears to be doing another ckdsk. If I am still awake when it finishes, I'm just going to shut the computer down - I don't want to do it while ckdsk is running.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:24 AM

Sooo...you can boot into safe mode but not normally? Do you have two systems...earlier you said that you had no Internet access but you are posting.

FWIW: I suggest never consider turning a system off...when chkdsk is attempting to run.

Boot into safe mode. Do a search for any .dmp files (Start/Run...make sure that you include all files, including system files, and that you have already enabled seeing all file extensions.

Upload any .dmp files from that system...as attachments in your next post.

Louis

#11 copperton

copperton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:27 PM

OMG, it does not go past the screen where it lists all the drivers when I try to get into safe mode. I've tried with and without networking. I let it sit for a good 20 minutes the first time before rebooting and trying again.

I have broadband wireless and am posting from a borrowed laptop, not on the problem computer.

It is still sitting at the list of drivers on the screen and not going anywhere.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:49 PM

I think that I would run the appropriate hardware diagnostic on your hard drive.

Going over everything from the beginning...that's where it seems to point, IMO.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Louis

#13 copperton

copperton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:53 PM

I can't get into Windows at all, to do anything. It looks like I'm going to have to take the computer to a physical repair place. I live in small town, an hour away from any type of city. Do you have any advice on what to tell the repair tech when I start calling around in the morning?

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:12 PM

You don't need to get into Windows...to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic.

One is apples...the other is oranges.

If you read the link I provided, you will see that there is no dependency at all on Windows for most hard drive diagnostics. The versions which run inside Windows...all have counterparts which do not run from within Windows.

As for what you choose to tell anyone about the circumstances leading up to your situation...it would seem that printing the threads you have started here at BC...ought to do.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users