Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

a little adhoc help please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 don wolfani

don wolfani

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:58 PM

ok. i am using mandriva linux 2010.1 spring.
i can figure out how to get my wireless card to connect to wifi and even how to connect to an already existing adhoc network i think.
what i dont know is how to set my machine to broadcast a new adhoc network which i need it to do when im at home and just swapping files between this machine and a win vista machine (ugh vista, microsoft basicaly bent us over a barrel and raped us and essentially got away with it bc most of us went out and bought win 7 after).

ok so my questions are this.
1. how do i make my wireless broadcast a new adhoc?
2. do i need to do anything to set it back to getting wifi later? (cant use a wired connection so please dont suggest it)
3. if i need some extra software to manage or configure this, what software do i need? and where do i download it?
4. when i go in through the net applet to manage networks and hit configure, will that allow me to set it to broadcast an adhoc? (wont be surprised if its a no because it has not worked for me yet)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:19 PM

What hardware are you using? Do you basically just want to share your internet connection from your Mandriva box?

#3 don wolfani

don wolfani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:17 AM

im using an acer aspire one laptop i dont know exactly what hardware it has.
as for internet no i have to use public wifi for internet.
i am looking for a way to swap to adhoc mode when im home so i can copy or move files from this machine to a vista one, then put the wifi card back to normal so i can get internet again when i leave home

#4 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:37 PM

In a terminal
su> enter
enter the root password>enter

Now at the root prompt (root@localhost user) now type: "lshw" ( without quotes ) then press enter
This will list your hardware and you can copy/paste so we know what hardware that your computer has.

Found this : http://linux.byexamples.com/archives/216/h...nux-to-windows/

Hope it helps !

Edited by Ramchu, 30 September 2010 - 12:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users