Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Problems, Maybe?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Libertyfry

Libertyfry

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:35 PM

Hello people; I am Libertyfry and this is my first post.

I am having a huge problem with my computer. When running programs, specifically games, after about 5 to 15 minutes of running the program, the computer either shuts itself down or restarts.

I am supposing this is a RAM problem right off the bat. The thing is, a prime example is Command & Conquer Generals has a system requirement of 128 MB of RAM and a video card requirement of 32 MB. The fact that I have 224 MB of RAM and a 32 MB video card on my AMD Athlon Processor makes me think otherwise.

I'm not big on computers but after reading a few other posts, I know I haven't smelt a burning smell from my computer so for what I know, nothing is burnt up.

I have never had this problem before, not even on my Windows 95 back when I had that, so I'm getting really ticked off.

I might add that I have an ASUS A7N266-VM motherboard.

This has actually started along time ago, about 6 months before now. The thing is is that when it first started, it happened very rarely and sometimes excusable. Now it just happens all the time and always there is a 100% chance of it happening.

Anyways, hopefully somebody can help me out because I have no clue as what to do. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:29 AM

You might want to consider adding to you RAM, 224MB isn't enough to make most games run efficiently now days, what the manufacturer suggests may not be accurate, here's a good example... M$ tells us that all you need to run XP is 128MB.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:04 AM

:thumbsup: to BC Libertyfry,

There seem to be a lot of posts with problems like yours without clear solutions. But the most common factors seem to be:
  • Video Card overheating - from your specs I'm guessing you don't have a video card so it isn't that.
  • RAM problems - dowmnload Memtest86 and test it. Memtest86.

Use it to create a bootable floppy disk. When you reboot with that floppy in the drive it will automatically run a memory test. Let it run at least overnight, unless errors come up right away, and then examine the error count.
  • Power supply inadequate - What's your power rating? Some members recommend ~450Watt or higher for gaming (but this is usually to accommodate the video card).
  • System/CPU overheating - Download the system analysis program 'Everest' so you can get detailed information about your system:
    Everest download
    Temperatures, voltages and fan speeds are shown under Computer>Sensor.
    Get a can of compressed air from an elctronics shop and blow the dust out of the CPU fan and any other fans you find.
hth :flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 13 November 2005 - 01:06 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:44 AM

Open your case and blow the dust bunnies out. See if your CPU fan is working, or clogged with lent. For that matter check all fans including the power supply fan.
You should clean the dust out of your case at least once a year, twice if you have pets or the case sits on the ground where it will vacum up all the dirt. Make sure the case vents are clean also.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Libertyfry

Libertyfry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 10:55 AM

Alright.
1) How do I figure my power rating?

2) I have not tried cleaning my computer of dust bunnies but I know both fans are working just fine. I just cleaned the fans though and they appear to be just fine.

3) I can't get Memtest86 to work. MS-DOS doesn't work for my PC but I guess i could always use a CD instead of a floppy disk.

4) Computer> sensor isnt working for me but under motherboard>CPU it says my power is 44.0 - 64.0 W which is pathetic. How do I increase my Wattage? what can I do about this?

5) My fifth point is, where can I buy a RAM upgrade for my computer? I have this RAM set lined out at www.crucial.com. It's a 256MB upgrade for about $30. Is this fair? Anybody else know a good place to purchase this kind of hardware?

#6 Libertyfry

Libertyfry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:39 PM

INCREDIBLE!

I cleaned out the inside of my PC and I can actually hear the fan going now. this is truelly remarkable. Im goin to try out a game now and see if it was all just an overheating problem.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:42 PM

Let everyone know if that was the cause. Glad we could help.

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 05:43 PM

How do I figure my power rating?

There should be a label on the side of the power supply with specifications.

I can't get Memtest86 to work. MS-DOS doesn't work for my PC but I guess i could always use a CD instead of a floppy disk.

Memtest does not use MS-DOS, it carries its own operating system. I can post instructions for making a CD if you want them.

Computer> sensor isnt working for me but under motherboard>CPU it says my power is 44.0 - 64.0 W which is pathetic. How do I increase my Wattage?

I think your misreading something. You cannot modify the wattage except by replacing the power supply.

Any developments?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 Libertyfry

Libertyfry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 06:27 PM

Okay. It appears it's just an overheating problem. No more shutting itself down anymore. The fan over the motherboard was clogged and disgusting so I can understand why did what is did.

Yeah, I'm not sure why it says the wattage is that.

It's still a nice idea to update everything though, including the RAM.

Hey, thanks guys.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:21 PM

4) Computer> sensor isnt working for me but under motherboard>CPU it says my power is 44.0 - 64.0 W which is pathetic. How do I increase my Wattage? what can I do about this?

No you cannot change that. That is like the wattage on a light bulb. It is a measure of the power consumption, not the power of the motherboard. The power of the computer is the Speed of the processor and the amount of RAM you have.
Your electical comsumption would be the wattage available on your power supply. I think what you want is how much electicty you are drawing. There is a chart, but I'll have to research it. Don't have it right off hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users