Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen flickering

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 acejesse13

acejesse13

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:31 PM

I have had this problem ever since I got my computer, and I really do not know what causes it. Whenever I use a graphics-extensive program, such as a game or a program like After Effects, or even watching movies on the internet, my screen flickers. It is not because of my refresh rate on my monitor, because I have tried different settings, and I have also tried different monitors, which rules that out.

When I first got my computer about 16 months ago, I was about to return it, because for a week I couldn't figure it out. What finally worked was downloading older driver for my video card, which somehow fixed the problem for games, but if I tried to watch a dvd, then the flickering would return. Also, I noticed the screen flickering was much worse when I first got my computer than it is now; then I had XP 32 bit, now I have Windows 7 64 bit (not sure if that's important or not).

I just installed Windows 7 a few days ago, and tried the same drivers that helped the problem when I was running XP, but that did not work, even though I downloaded the 64 bit version of it.
As of now, I have the latest driver installed for my graphics card, which is a Ati Radeon HD 4870 PCI-E 16x 1GB DDR5.
The screen flickers when I play any games, when I use Adobe programs, like Photoshop and After Effects, and when I watch videos or dvds.

If anyone could help me with this problem, I would be truly grateful. If there is any information you need from me, please ask and I will respond asap.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

I take it it is out of warranty now?

If it is a desktop check that the moniotr isn't faulty by connecting it up to a friends or relatives pc.

If a laptop coneect an external monitor to vga port on back to check laptop screen isn't faulty.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#3 acejesse13

acejesse13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:49 PM

It is not the monitor. I have connected it to other computers and it is just fine..plus, if it was the monitor, it would probably be flickering all the time, but it only happens when I run a program that uses graphics like games, dvd, etc..

Also, I have a PC, not a laptop.

#4 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:54 PM

Apologies missed the bit about you've tried different monitors.
Do you know if your motherboard has onboard graphics there will be another vga port same as graphics card just above the usb ports on backplate cutout for mobo?

If so boot up pc go into bios under advanced bios features usually select init display first and set it to onboard or igp. Save changes and exit swap vga cable to onboard vga see if flickering still occurs when in windows and playing a game or using photoshop or watching dvds or videos. You have to remember tho that onboard graphics won't have the same capacity as a dedicated graphics card so playing games may be a problem.

Are these the drivers you are using

http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/ps...s=&items=20

If so you need to try another graphics card.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#5 acejesse13

acejesse13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:54 PM

There are no ports on my MOBO, only 2 hdmi (I think that's what they're called) ports on the graphics card.

Yes, those are the same drivers I have. To make sure, I uninstalled my current drivers, and installed those, and it seems they are the same.

#6 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:58 PM

So now you need to put another card in now and that will confirm graphics card is borked if you have one spare or can beg one for testing.

Edited by Darth sidious, 25 September 2010 - 02:59 PM.

#7 acejesse13

acejesse13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:33 PM

When I unistalled my drivers for my graphics card, the screen didn't flicker, would that point to the graphics card as the problem?

#8 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:58 PM

When I unistalled my drivers for my graphics card, the screen didn't flicker, would that point to the graphics card as the problem?

I've pointed to that already yes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users