Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

silly email question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sherrylynne

sherrylynne

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:11 AM

I cannot figure out how to back up my email to my documents on my computer! Not without doing it one item at a time.
I use Outlook Express, and my system is windows xp professional. Thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:20 AM

http://download.cnet.com/Outlook-Express-B...4-10159751.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 sherrylynne

sherrylynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

Thanks! One problem, though. I downloaded and tried to back up, but it keeps saying "Outlook Express Backup can detect no items to back up. Please select items."
I checkmarked everything I want backed up, but noticed that it is looking in my documents, and I can't even get them backed up to there, let alone in the the OE backup.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,912 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:57 PM

http://email.about.com/od/outlookexpressba...ook_Express.htm

......In addition to the manual procedure described below, you can also automate the backup process.
Back Up or Copy Mail Files in Outlook Express.................

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:08 PM

You could try this, and it doesn't involve software or finding .dbx folder.

Store the messages you want archived to a folder. Navigate to where you want to folder to be.
Example: My Documents.

Create a new folder

Name the folder. Open it up. If you want to create sub-folders, create them now.

Click the middle box on the top right hand side (the one with 2 squares) to make the open folder smaller. If you made a sub-folder open one up.

Next, open Outlook Express.
Highlight the messages you want to archive. If you want to do all of them, click on EDIT/Select All.
If you don't want all of them, hold down the ctrl key while highlighting the messages you do want.

Once again, click the middle box of your OE page at the top right hand side of the page. Drag the folder you created next to OE.
With your mouse, place your cursor over the highlighted messages. Hold down the left click button, then drag the messages to the OE folder.

Repeat the process for any OE folders.

They will be copied, and after that it is up to you to either delete or not delete the messages from OE.

When you need to view one of the messages, OE will open when you click on the message.

As a bonus, you can back up the folder to a cd. This will come in handy if your computer crashes and you need to reinstall the operating system or replace your hard drive.

I've used this method for years, works like a charm.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 September 2010 - 03:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users