Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 am's

am's

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:25 PM

hi, im having a lot of trouble with my computer. I think theres like a problem with my hardware so i wanted to do a system restore. I tried it twice and it did not work. Can anyone tell me how can i get the computer to do a system restore?thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:15 PM

Do you have any restore points created to go back too?

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:25 PM

:thumbsup: to BC am's,

If you do have a hardware problem, System Restore won't fix it. Unless you mean a driver problem.

Give us some information about your system and what problems you are seeing with the hardware. :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 am's

am's
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:55 PM

:thumbsup: to BC am's,

If you do have a hardware problem, System Restore won't fix it. Unless you mean a driver problem.

Give us some information about your system and what problems you are seeing with the hardware. :flowers:

thanks for the welcome!!!

I do have a few restore points and i think i have tried all of them. The thing is that everytime i would turn on the computer it will shutdown by it self right away. I scanned my computer for spyware and viruses, and i saw a few suspicious stuff which i already removed. but my computer is slow and it freezes a lot. when i say slow i mean very slow.If its a memory thing, is there anyway i can like remove some stuff from my computer to have space? i hope this is useful. thanks so much!!!

Edited by am's, 12 November 2005 - 11:58 PM.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:29 AM

Firstly - please use the 'Add Reply' button rather than the "Reply button, unless you actually need to quote someone.

Secondly - see this topic for how to find the information I need. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34781/how-to-add-a-useful-signature-to-your-posts/ - (you don't have to make a signature.)

Thirdly - A slow computer could be due to a lot of things. Here is the plan of attack:
1. Tidy up.
2. Malware Scans.
3. Hardware Tests.
4. Further action.

# 1
  • Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
    Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
    Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK

• Schedule an Error Check (Scandisk).
    How to find scandisk: Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now. In the window that opens tick 'Automatically fix file system errors' and 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'. When you click 'Start' Windows will say the error checker cannot run now and do you want it to run at the next boot? Click 'yes' and then reboot.

• When that's finished reboot in Safe Mode and do a defrag.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Reboot normally and see if there's any improvement.

• Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Start>My Computer click once on your C: drive and look in the Details box on the left.
Is your Anti-virus program current and updated? If not you can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software because you should only have one running on your system.

Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.

See if that helps :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 am's

am's
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:56 AM

thank you for all the advise, i will try it and get back to you. thanks!!!
:thumbsup:

#7 am's

am's
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:18 AM

hi there,

i did what you told me, but the disk clean up did not work. it started and then it would not continue the process. so what i did was i did the next thing the "scan disk", it worked and i did the rest except scan computer for viruses and ad ware. i will do it tomorrow and i will post with the results. hopefully it works.bye

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:23 AM

Did you try to run everything form safe mode? That works best.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 am's

am's
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:04 PM

i did scan the disk and defragmented in safe mode. the thing is that i tried to run cleanmgr but it did not work. the computer seems to be faster after what i did but, it does continue to freeze a bit right after opening a program or when it just truned on. what should i do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users