Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS Laptop Freezing, and performing poorly!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:03 AM

I have a Dell XPS Laptop that is running Vista 64 bit. The trouble started just after I tried to install software for a high tech calculator. The calculator never worked properly with the software installed. After this the computer started to perform poorly. It would freeze during browsing, not respond and It also gets halfway through a disk defrag and stops completely. I am doing a checkdisk as we speak and it is taking about 16hrs which I am sure is sign of trouble. I did choose the option to attempt to repair bad sectors. Should I abort the check disk scan? Does all these symptoms point to a hardware or software problem. I am so tempted to install W7 as I am not a big fan of Windows Vista. What are your thoughts? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:27 AM

Did you try system restore to before installing that program?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:45 AM

I tried everything and it is still having issues. The screen locks up often and won't let me do anything. Sometimes ctr, alt, del won't even get me to task manager. I stopped the Check disk in stage 5 as it was stuck for hrs at 34%. Is this a by product of Vista or could it be faulty RAM or H.D? Thanks

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:57 AM

Vista, or any Windows version for that matter has nothing to do with your problems.

Was system restore successful?
I mean, did it execute without any errors?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:07 PM

I did restore back to just prior to installing the Calculator Software, but it just wasn't right. I couldn't finish a defrag or a malwarebytes scan and it would freeze up. I then tried another restore that was even further back than that, but still negative results. The main issue I am having right now is the screen locking up and freezing and different times. Could this be a hardware issue. If so, wouldn't I have seen other symptoms prior to installing the calculator software. Appreciate your input.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:11 PM

Could this be a hardware issue

Possibly.

See, if same thing happens in Safe Mode.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:41 AM

I went ahead and did a custom install to W7 Home premium. I have been planning on doing this for some time and the latest problems led me to make this change. I will give you and update once I have used the laptop with W7 for a few days. Thanks

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:11 AM

Very well....
Thanks for posting back :huh:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users