Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Ps2 Or Ps2 Redesigned?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lostfan17

Lostfan17

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:11 PM

hey and thanks for all the comments on my last post. my friend said that the old ps2 is much better than the redesigned ps2. do u know which one is better, and what is different in the redesigned ps2 and why it cost 40 dollars more than the refurbished ps2. thanks

Edited by Lostfan17, 12 November 2005 - 10:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 04:56 PM

hey and thanks for all the comments on my last post. my friend said that the old ps2 is much better than the redesigned ps2. do u know which one is better, and what is different in the redesigned ps2 and why it cost 40 dollars more than the refurbished ps2. thanks

I think I recall somebody saying the fans were better on the redesigned one or something that its not as loud and (i think) had better cooling. That is, if thats what I'm thinking about, the slim ps2 right?

#3 Lostfan17

Lostfan17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 05:58 PM

yeh the slim ps2 one thanks

#4 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:12 PM

That's what I heard too. The slim PS2 has better cooling, resulting in faster loading times. Plus, if you're putting that sucker in a cramped area, it'll be pretty easy.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 10:20 PM

More compact, built-in adapter (for online play), a LOT quietter, more reliable (no more disc read errors).

The only downside (if you can call it that) is that you can't add the harddrive to it, which basically means no ffxi........ boo-hoo?

#6 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 03:09 PM

doesnt it also have a different dvd player people say that its better im not sure how though
If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

#7 Uchiha Obito

Uchiha Obito

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:30 PM

This thread is a bit old, but I'll toss my 2 cents in, DO NOT PLAY DVDs ON YOUR PS2. It's in the EULA or somesuch piece of legalese with your PS2, it states that the PS2 is not designed to play DVDs. Despite the fact that they sell remotes for this specific reason if you have an old PS2 and it stops working the most common reason is because you used to it to play too many DVDs. PS2s have a high enough defect rate as it is (somewhere around 35% compared to GC's 5%) but as a former employee of EB Games I would recommend you spring for a cheap DVD player.

#8 afterhours

afterhours

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:59 PM

This thread is a bit old, but I'll toss my 2 cents in, DO NOT PLAY DVDs ON YOUR PS2. It's in the EULA or somesuch piece of legalese with your PS2, it states that the PS2 is not designed to play DVDs. Despite the fact that they sell remotes for this specific reason if you have an old PS2 and it stops working the most common reason is because you used to it to play too many DVDs. PS2s have a high enough defect rate as it is (somewhere around 35% compared to GC's 5%) but as a former employee of EB Games I would recommend you spring for a cheap DVD player.

end user license agreement says that? Wow, never heard of this before. I gotta dig up my old PS2 manual.
~VAIO~

#9 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:58 AM

Interesting.

#10 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:05 PM

My family originally bought the PS2 to play both games and DVDs. But my mom wanted her own DVD player, so she bought her own. However, I thought that the PS2 was designed to play both games AND DVDs. Why would they say that you can play DVDs on the PS2, then make it so that you shouldn't? That makes no sense. :thumbsup:

Luckily, most DVD players are dirt cheap now. You can get a good one for a lower price than the PS2. :flowers:

#11 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:54 AM

yeah whats the point of owning a PS2 or (laughs @ self 4 having 1) Xbox if you cant use the DVD player functions?? Why would they package them with those abilities and sell the DVD remotes?? Huh??? But for my money I like the slimline ps2 (or the "Duce-Duce" as I call it) better than the original

Posted Image

#12 afterhours

afterhours

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:00 PM

wait wait wait...

I just realized something...

The PS2 games are burned into a DVD format. Its "techincally' playing a DVD disc all the time.
~VAIO~

#13 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:05 PM

I seriously doubt there's anything that states "do not play DVD's on your Ps2"..... from what i can tell Uchiha seems to be a nintendo support (why else would he throw the gc reference in there....)

I played dvd's on my Ps2 (launch system, thank you very much) 5 years before it crapped out on me. There's pretty much no danger in playing Dvd's on your new or old Ps2.

And afterhours is right. A large majority of Ps2 games now-adays are in DVD-ROM format.

#14 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:00 PM

yeah ive played DVDs, Blue Back, & Black Backed PS2 games since launch (I'm currently on my 3rd system 2 originals & 1 slim)

Posted Image

#15 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:24 PM

I got mine when the price dropped to $150, I don't know which model PS2 that was but it was like a couple years ago. It has generally been okay but it definatly feels like age is taking toll on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users