Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lan Icon Recieving Packets

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Infamous

Infamous

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:35 PM

Hey, first time postin here, Friend suggested me to come here after I told him about whats anoyying me. I dont know if this is too much of a problem, but I have the Lan notification Icon in the system tray so I can watch my activity sometimes. Well, Recently Ive noticed that I am always recieving packets. Its not constant, but it will stop for a second, then start receiving again, over and over. Ive scanned for spyware, just found the regular tracker cookies, and get rid of them. I dont even know if its a problem that I should be looking into, or if it is just common. Any Ideas on whats happening/how to stop it would be very helpful. Im using Windows Xp sp2.

Edited by Infamous, 12 November 2005 - 09:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:12 PM

I would install a Firewall if you already haven't done so.
With a software firewall, you will be able to monitor what is going on with your connection.

Two good free versions are Sygate and ZoneLabs.

Hope that helps.
JC

#3 Infamous

Infamous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:33 PM

Hey man, I got zone alarm, and after I installed it, I got alerts stopping port scans. This lead me to believe that some of my ports were open, and when I went into my router settings, I found out my brother had been using my computer and enabled DMZ mode. I disabled it, and then the portscans stopped, Im still running zone alarm and havent gotten a warning yet from it. Thanks man, and im planning on ordering zone alarm now, I really like the program.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:56 AM

I found out my brother had been using my computer and enabled DMZ mode.

That would do it. :thumbsup:

Thanks for letting us know. The free version should be sufficient for what you need. However, Zone Alarm Pro has a few extra features that may be worth the money.

Take care,
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users