Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Pictures in Vista

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:23 PM

Hello,

I have a question regarding pictures that I've right-clicked on while on various websites and blogs, etc. in order to save them to my computer, which is a Gateway loaded with Windows Vista. Most of the pictures that I do this with do appear in the folder in which I saved them to, but some are not showing up.

The ones that DO show up in my pictures folder have an icon that's a stamp-size copy of the picture, and when I double-click on it, a large size of that image appears in my Windows Photo Gallery. This is what I want to happen.

The other pictures that I've saved to the same folder in the same manner have a blank-page icon instead of the stamp-size copy of the picture. Underneath the blank-page icon is the name I gave the image that's supposed to be there. When I double-click on it, instead of a large size of the image I saved appearing in my Windows Photo Gallery, another window opens that looks like this:

Posted Image

I also noticed that instead of saying "JPEG" or "Bitmap" when I hover the mouse over the saved image, it says, "File." I am able to open those pictures using Paint, but I'd rather be able to just click through my Windows Picture Gallery to see everything as a slideshow.

Why does this sometimes happen (a blank-page icon instead of an actual stamp-size copy of the picture and the image being saved as a file instead of JPEG) when I'm saving the pictures in the exact same manner? Is there a way that I can avoid this?

I don't really know the difference between JPEG, Bitmap, File, etc., but I would like to be able to save all my images the same way. I usually just choose JPEG, but not for any particular reason since I don't know what it means, but most of the time I've noticed that when the "Save" window opens and I click on the arrow to choose from the list of "Save as type", there is usually only one thing to choose. It generally has the choice to save it as either JPEG Image or All Files OR it will have the choice of Bitmap or All Files.

I hope all this makes sense, LOL! If it doesn't, just let me know, and I'll try to make it clearer.

Thanks for the help, as always!
Michele

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

Do you have Hide Known File Extensions checked off under Folder Options and View?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users