Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Numbers will not work

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MsKatGreenbay

MsKatGreenbay

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:34 PM

Hello, I hope I am in the right forum. I have a Sony Vaio running XP Home edition. The numbers row above the letters all will not work. The only numbers that work are 1257890... This started last night and I have no idea why. No liquid came in contact with it or dropped. It is a wireless sony vaio desktop keyboard, model number VGP-WKB3US... I had to type that number 3 from the numberpad on the side. I have shut off the connection to keyboard and restarted it but that did nothing. I am out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by MsKatGreenbay, 24 September 2010 - 09:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:46 PM

Try blowing those keys out with a little compressed air
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:00 PM

On that keyboard do you have a f {Lock}

#4 MsKatGreenbay

MsKatGreenbay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:15 PM

Hello, thanks for your suggestions. Air did not help and I am not sure about an " f locked" key. Where would that be located?

#5 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:17 PM

You may have already done these, but just making sure:
New batteries?
Restart the reciever? Or plug it into a different USB port? (unless it's the PS/2 kind)
Update drivers?
Uninstall/reinstall existing drivers?.
Move away any nearby electrical device to avoid interferencE?

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:19 PM

On my keyboard its right above the back space, it varies. If I was in this spot I would make sure my keyboard was set with F lock was on. All these keys can be set to do anything. Many questions come to mind. 1. Are you hard wired or blue tooth, wireless. There are so many option on today's keyboards there could be a Zillion answers. That being said. Go to Start and type keyboard, it will give you many choices and settings. There is no one answer. When you type in key board from the Start you will see Help use it. There are key combination that are set by Windows and they can be set different with a keyboard settings from what ever keyboard program you are using. To make it simple, once you are in keyboard settings you have to make the choices. I can't do it for you. As far as I know there is no one fits all. Learn it, adjust it, use it and love it.

#7 MsKatGreenbay

MsKatGreenbay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:47 PM

I just don't get it. After 4 years of working perfectly, now it stops. Anyway, I purchased a new (used) same exact model from ebay and hope it works well. Thank you so much for your help and suggestions. In future if I need more help after I receive new keyboard, I will be back. Thread is closed as far as I am concerned, for now. Thanks :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users