Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Page loading and song playing is lagged

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jaysnzees

jaysnzees

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:27 PM

Just noticing that the loading of the songs are slower than the playtime. how can i fix this? I mean should I just treat this like a slow pc thing or what?
What is thy bidding? My Master?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

#3 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:20 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/C9BJwLYp5CvB70NStpruLq4

#4 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:48 PM

First, are you read the music files from your hard drive, cd, flash stick, or streaming them over the internet?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:48 PM

You need more RAM for your computer it is probably paging like mad to the hard drive.

#6 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:13 PM

You need more RAM for your computer it is probably paging like mad to the hard drive.

He's got a gig. That's enough to play an mp3 file off the hard drive. I suspect his proc is off the chart or it's a bandwidth issue. Wait for more info.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:22 PM

1Gig of RAM is hardly enough when default windows install takes between 256 and 512Megs of RAM from a fresh install add other programs and that 1Gig of RAM vanishes rather quickly, and then the hard drive takes over which can cause applications and other things to be slow due to the slow access times of the hard drive.

#8 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:38 PM

True, but you can't just jump to the conclusion that he is getting read latency from pagefile swapping. There really are alot of other things it could be.

And, if it is a pagefile issue, adjusting the pagefile size, defragmenting the pagefile and hard drive, decreasing memory usage, or increasing the buffer size in his player are other ways he could fix the issue without needing to run out and buy more ram.

We still don't even know if it's a file he's playing off his hard drive or one he's streaming off the net.

And as far as 1 gig not being enough... I'm on a Pentium III 700mhz laptop with 256mb of ram running XP Pro, and it plays mp3 files just fine.

Edited by Gabrial, 25 September 2010 - 10:40 PM.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:43 PM

Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT12864AA667 - 38.99

Much faster RAM and 2Gigs it should be plenty for his machine and a lot more.

Messing with the page file size would have no impact on the performance of the PC. It would continue to still lag and produce latency levels that would cause his issues to still remain. RAM upgrade right now would be the best bet.

#10 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:54 PM

Oh contraire. Changing the size of a page file can effect system performace. If you set it to a larger than needed minimum size, then windows doesn't have to take time to expand the file and contract the file as more and less memory are needed, thus taking less reads and writes to the hard drive. Also, using a dynamic pagefile over a fragmented drive is much more time consuming than using a static defragmented pagefile.

And we still aren't sure that's the issue.

If for instance, he is streaming a music file over the internet from a website, it could be network congestion somewhere, like at the site in question, or perhaps he's downloading some filesharing stuff or he's having communication issues on a DSL modem due to bad wires, or.... the list goes on and on as to what is could be besides a pagefile issue, we really dont have enough information yet to diagnose the problem properly.

Edited by Gabrial, 25 September 2010 - 10:56 PM.

#11 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:40 AM

Gabrial,
I'm referring to the time it would take to load a page on say Facebook or other sites...its takes longer than it used to (possibly due to congestion) and the main reason I am asking this question is the playback watching YouTube. There video is loading slower than it is playing. This has not always been the case so I thought there must be a reason for it. I figured either my PC has too many programs or something "bogging" it down, or needs to be cleaned up in some way or another.

We have mp3 files and DVD files on the harddrive and I would assume the PC would run much faster if I could delete or move the ones not played asmuch...I just know there are any number of things I can do to improve my pc's performance. I just need someone to suggest things for me to try. I'd like to add RAM or things of a "hardware" issue as a last resort, if we could.

Thank you & Gawbless

#12 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:18 AM

It sounds to me like a bandwidth or latency issue. Are you sharing the internet with other machines? Are there other programs using the internet in the background, like file sharing programs? Malware could also be using your internet without your knowledge as well.

Is this a wifi connection? If so, how is your signal strength?

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:13 PM

Perform three speedtests and post the resulting images here.

Also when using Flash on any web browser will cause that web browser's RAM usage to go up and if you do not have enough RAM and you start paging the latency aspect will also kick in as the pages are being loaded to RAM and to the hard drives temporary files.

Anything faster then 1Megabit a second download would suffice for yourtubing and basic web surfing needs.

Edited by cryptodan, 26 September 2010 - 01:16 PM.

#14 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:26 PM

http://www.speedtest.net/result/969872870.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/969873849.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/969874673.png

#15 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:28 PM

Gabrial,

Not using wifi, I use DSL...only one PC currently on this connection. I have used file sharing, but not anymore.

ty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users