Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I safely delete windows messenger?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cat33

cat33

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:29 PM

It was installed in our computer when we bought it in 2006. I think it was modified in 2008 when I installed service pack 3. In 2007, we installed an updated version of messenger and it didn't change the one that was already in the computer so I figured since it was installed in the computer at time of purchase it should not be removed? We didn't like messenger so removed the new one. This may seem like a silly question but I google searched it and got more confused.

I right clicked on properties and it said it was created in 2005. msmsgs application windows messenger modfied April 2008. File version 4.7.3001

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:34 PM

Yes, this is now defunct and has been replaced by Windows Live Messenger. There are also security issues with it so go ahead and remove it but use the instructions here.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:14 PM

To make matters worse, I need to ask which messenger you are referring to. Windows messenger which is the messaging service used in an Enterprise/Business environment. Or are you referring to the Instant Messaging application that is now known as m0le explained Windows Live Messenger. It has long been a confusing bit of terminology so I just want to be clear here.

These are two completely different services and they are disabled differently.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 cat33

cat33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:12 AM

When my cursor hovers over this messenger shortcut it says: "Shows whether your friends are online and lets you have online conversations." When I right clink on it, then click on properties, it says it's target is "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe"

The following is some of the info in the help topics in this messenger:
What is Windows Messenger?
Windows Messenger allows real-time communication with other people who are signed in to .NET Messenger Service. To use Windows Messenger, you must be running Windows XP.

Here are some of the things you can do using Windows Messenger:

Create a contact list of your friends, family, and coworkers.
See when your contacts are online and available, and send text messages back and forth.
Send pictures, music, or documents to your contacts.
Call a computer and have a video/voice conversation using your computer microphone, speakers, and camera.
Use ink to write instant messages (requires Windows XP Tablet PC Edition).
Invite someone to look at a program on your computer or use Whiteboard together.
Use Remote Assistance to have someone help you with your computer.

What is Kids Passport?
A Kids Passport allows children aged 12 and younger who live in the United States to use Windows Messenger. A Kids Passport requires a parent's or guardian's consent to use the service. If you have more than one child under 13, you must give consent for each child's Kids Passport account.

I guess what has me confused is how it mentions ".Net Messenger Service".

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:19 AM

.NET Messenger Service is the service now known as Windows Live Messenger. Yes you can safely uninstall the one you describe.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 cat33

cat33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

I have service pack 3 on my windows xp. From the link m0le provided I read this:

Removing Messenger from computers WITH Service Pack 1 installed

1) Click on Start, Control Panel
2) Double click on Add or Remove Programs
3) Select Add/Remove Windows Components
4) Uncheck Windows Messenger
5) Click Next
6) Click Finish
7) Restart your computer

I was going to follow the instructions but have never double clicked on add or remove windows components before and it seemed dangerous so I went into C:\Program Files and deleted the messenger and it warned me that it might effect other programs? I looked in the file before deleting to make sure it was the messenger I wanted to remove. Right now it is in my recycle bin. I don't understand why computer makers have to make things so high tech and involved.

I have turned the computer off twice since doing this so I guess it's ok?

#7 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:40 PM

The program is old and so doesn't really relate with other programs so the warning is just that, a warning. :thumbsup:
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users