Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista freezes as soon as it connects to a wired or wireless network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheSwitch

TheSwitch

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:06 PM

I have here a Sony VAIO laptop that locks up only when it attempts to connect to a network, on wireless it freezes, when I turn wireless off, it doesn't freeze.

It runs Vista SP2

Event Viewer isn't bringing up anything critical AFAIK, but I'm pretty novice at using it.

Just booted it using a Ubuntu Live Disk, network works fine, so it's not hardware related, I guess I'll try to replace the drivers and see if it still occurs.

Anything else it could be?

Edited by TheSwitch, 24 September 2010 - 05:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:36 PM

I would try removing the current wireless drivers...then reinstalling same. The Vista drivers could be damaged.

Louis

#3 TheSwitch

TheSwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:17 PM

Yup, that seemed to have done the trick.

Uninstalled the driver in Device Manager. Got the updated driver from the VAIO website, but It didn't seem to install properly.

Got rid of it again, and went straight to Intel's website and downloaded their latest driver for this piece of hardware (this isn't recommended, I know).
It installed flawlessly and all of a sudden it didn't lock up anymore. I tried some reboots but it all works.

So far so good, tomorrow I'll test whether it chokes on wired as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users